Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 06:31 PM

32 posts, read 39,251 times

Advertisements

Common question but the pay at my job might make easier for people to give me advice.

I'm tempted to finally accept a mediocre promotion but still keep looking because it could really be a while before anyone offers me anything better. I would still give them a hard day's work, just not promises of staying a year.

I work at a firm, where the assistants have high, (but not rapid) turnover. The past six months, they have been trying to promote me to be an assistant whenever there is an opening; reason being because I already use their system and learned to do some of their tasks through boredom.

It's literally, less than two dollars more than my current hourly pay with a lot more stress & work. I keep saying no because I started looking for a better job that's closer and pays better.

A few of my bosses already know because a coworker helping me with the search though it was no big deal to tell our manager. It's quietly understood that a handful of people want to leave but I didn't want more than a few people to know.

My bosses understand & one of them suggest I take the assistant position & keep looking though she once told me not to do it to her if I ever became her coworker (turned that position down too).

Job recruiters I'm working with personally told me to go for it & keep looking.
The one boss that doesn't know is the one that keeps offering it to me. He really keeps asking my other boss why I'm turning the openings down.

I've interviewed at other places here and there but no offer. It's looking bleak & I should boost my resume but I don't want to be tied down here. At the same time with layoffs in this economy & my firm's higher ups (some pretty wealthy) preferring the turnover rate over increasing the pay rate, I'd feel less guilty.
ButI love my coworkers who are sick of it the turnover and picking up the slack whenever someone suddenly quits (it's the higher ups fault).

In this specific situation what you do? We work hard but we aren't paid that much more than typical retail workers. Some people even have two jobs. I'm worried that I'll leave too soon and burn bridges.

At the same time, this one guy on these forums kept turning job offers in hopes of better ones and wishes he didn't but his situation was better than mine. If I'm stuck here, at least I can pay off my car and even visit family more with the slight pay raise (more PTOs).

Advice?

Last edited by ruciful; 11-29-2016 at 07:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 05:20 AM

299 posts, read 350,272 times
Take the promotion, see if you can negotiate for more money, make no promises to stay for any length of time, gain some more experience, and keep looking. Might as well earn more while continuing your job search.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:53 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
The promotion might help you get the better job that you want.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:09 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,280 times
Take it. I'm working at a lousy job myself but I'm getting much needed experience in the classroom and working with special needs students.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:24 AM

738 posts, read 584,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newJerseyPinky View Post
Take the promotion, see if you can negotiate for more money, make no promises to stay for any length of time, gain some more experience, and keep looking. Might as well earn more while continuing your job search.

Yes, I agree. Always easier to get a job when you have a job.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:50 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
Take the promotion and keep looking. It also looks good on your resume.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:55 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,069,525 times
What they said. Take it and keep looking. In fact look even harder.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:13 PM

32 posts, read 39,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
What they said. Take it and keep looking. In fact look even harder.
Okay.

Wish my coworkers sucked, then this would be easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search