Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2016, 08:23 AM

10,600 posts, read 12,049,503 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to help a friend on what to do.
If a person knows he can't leave the current job until March first, is it too early to start looking now??
(He's a high wage earning in a specialized, white collar field in a major metro area.)

He wants a job ASAP after March 6th, so has applied for only five things online:
-- two government jobs which of course may need come through and would take months if they did (and there's an admin change coming in Jan.)
-- three private employers, two of which have already said 'they went in "another direction."

He's not disheartened, because he just started.
Sure, he found five things to apply for in one week. But it could also be a week before he sees anything else that fits. You just never know.

I've told him to keep looking and keep applying (he's checking for jobs every day)
BUT he hasn't put his resume online yet. (on the usual places and sites)

I'm thinking he should wait until maybe mid January to do that….again he CAN NOT LEAVE his current job until march first, anyway. His fear is that IF something did come through the company wouldn't wait for him until -- March 6th. I know it's not THAT far a head, but it's not like he could start tomorrow, either.

So any advice??
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 01:36 PM

269 posts, read 573,093 times
Based on the information provided, yes, I agree, that it would be totally worthless to start looking for a job this far out, because most companies searching for prospective employees are doing so to hire withing a few weeks to a month after advertising the job.

However, if your friend can find a company that is say relocating or creating a new position that will be open around March 6th, then that would be a plus but those are not too common.

I would suggest having his resume updated and pulling the trigger at the end of Jan...

Old 12-07-2016, 07:36 AM

269 posts, read 245,857 times
If he's going for a government job I think he should start looking right now.

Government jobs can take months to get. I applied for a job with the State of California on September 20, 2016. I had an interview on November 3, 2016. I was offered the job November 30th, give or take a day. I'm going to my drug test, physical today and background check today. They told me the background check (Livescan) could take up to two weeks. I think I'll be lucky to start the job in December, but more likely, I could start in January.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:48 AM

425 posts, read 644,348 times
So I was given notice in March that I would lose my job December 31. Same deal, no severance if I left early. I basically started looking September 1, got a job offer in 2.5 months and they let me start Jan 1. Hiring is slow in December so this is the time to network and schmooze. Finding a job can run the gamut from easy to hard...I know someone who is still looking months after leaving their prior job. Unless the buyout is massive, you could forego that severance if a new job has a nice sign-on bonus.

He should go all out starting in January..even in best case, a hiring process takes 1 month between 2-3 interview rounds and scheduling stuff. So really he's only waiting less than 30 days to really go hard which is the time to really prep for the search.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:35 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,446,465 times
It's essentially mid-December. Many places are posting their 2017 jobs. I would tell your friend to apply now if something catches his eye. Most places won't call until the beginning of the year because they are running into holiday vacation schedules for the rest of 2016. Best to have your name on the list before the posting ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search