Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,377 times

Advertisements

Happy New Year, everyone!

I'm 24 and I've been searching for a new job. I'm an Assistant Manager at a Car Rental Company in the Chicago suburbs area, but I desperately need to leave for various reasons. One of the reasons is I am not getting paid enough. I'm currently acting as the Branch Manager at my location, and have been for 5 months. I've been bringing in more business at my location and have completely turned around our customer reviews for the store, but so far management has been stringing me along saying that I'm the perfect fit for a manager at our store, but so far I've only gotten the run around. I really need the money, but if there's no chance for a promotion, I need to leave.

I have a degree in English Literature and a Masters in Business Administration and I'm not sure which jobs would fit my experience. I have 2 degrees, but only 1 year and 4 months of management experience. I'm looking for anything as I desperately need the money to pay for my mother's hospital bills.

If you guys have any idea what I should be looking into (best paying jobs for my experience), or if you had any ideas that worked for you or someone you know I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 08:00 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,356 times
you're 24 and have less than 2 years work experience? That's going to be your first problem - an MBA really doesn't count for much without experience. You basically need to look for entry level positions - i'd look into financial firms as they will typically pay more for college grads, even with limited experience. Look for companies with a large presence in your metro (hopefully you're in chicago?) or a headquarters there and start looking at their postings. Just don't start posting for stuff requiring 5-10 years experience (you won't get called). My firm hires recent college grades (very selective) into major markets around 80k a year. good luck

Old 01-08-2017, 06:10 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
Not employment related but have you looked into getting your mom on Medicaid to help with the bills? Illinois is a blue state and you can get help easier.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 1,377 times
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that. In college I was on a basketball scholarship and that's where all of my time went. I love basketball, but doesn't really help now. Thanks again!

Old 01-13-2017, 11:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
You have an MBA and management experience. You should be okay. Look into financial services companies that offer retail services. For your resume, just list your Bachelors degree but don't indicate the major.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:18 AM

115 posts, read 98,571 times
Not sure what you are getting paid and what type of job you are looking to transition into. Look into retail banking, retail management or if you like what you do, apply for a competitor for the position you want.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:46 PM

15 posts, read 6,274 times
sorry to hear about your situation, not sure how much $ you need per month to make meets end but a good part-time gig if you have an english lit major is tutoring at JC or even university level. ESL students pay ~$20 per hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search