Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,467 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm unsure but really would like to know if it's possible for me to get into Marketing or Real Estate with a felony. The felony is not drug, money, murder related, but a sexual disclosure violation. I refuse to let this destroy my life but finding answers are harder than I thought..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 01:26 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
I've never heard of a "sexual disclosure violation" but I am not a lawyer.
In any case you might consult a lawyer in the case of real estate if you want to get licensed to sell. Or try calling LARA and ask.
LARA - MI Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

Marketing is a pretty generic term. My none legal opinion is that if a job doesn't require a license or some sort of certification then it probably doesn't matter except to a prospective employer.
But again I am NOT a lawyer, just a knucklehead on the Internet that tries to stay informed.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:32 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentAlways View Post
Hey, I'm unsure but really would like to know if it's possible for me to get into Marketing or Real Estate with a felony. The felony is not drug, money, murder related, but a sexual disclosure violation. I refuse to let this destroy my life but finding answers are harder than I thought..
A felony that is bad enough that it would preclude you from getting a professional job is going to preclude you from getting any job, whether it's marketing or plumbing. Ostensibly, marketing and PR might be harder to break into with a felony, since they are generally considered to be "people" positions and a felony generally tends to indicate that your skills with regards to functioning normally in a society are below par. Any sex-related offenses are going to raise potential employers' blood pressure even further. So the odds are stacked up against you, meaning you're going to have to be creative in how you, pardon the redundancy, market yourself. You will need to be brutally honest about what happened with your hiring manager and be prepared for a long string of rejections. Maybe try an organization in your area that helps place convicted felons (maybe start with your parole officer, assuming you have one?) or an occupational counselor of some kind.

BTW, this belongs in the "Jobs" section, not Michigan.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:40 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
BTW, this belongs in the "Jobs" section, not Michigan.
If he/she actually lives in Michigan then licensing requirements and questions would vary from state to state. So if you want answers to licensing in Michigan this is as good a spot as any to ask.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:54 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Moved to the employment section

Old 01-06-2017, 07:45 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Does your state allow felons to have a real estate license? You need to check with the body that licenses realtors in your state.

The people I know in marketing have a degree in a related field. If you are qualified for a position, you need to find an employer that is willing to hire a felon, and most aren't. What will likely keep you out of marketing is company policy.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:17 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
There will be a huge stigma since it is sex related and there are a lot of attractive women working in marketing. There would be fears for huge lawsuits if they knowingly hire you with your record and you get accused of sexual harassment. I know it sucks and its not fair. You best chance would be a glowing referral from someone. A lot of small companies don't do background checks also.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
There will be a huge stigma since it is sex related and there are a lot of attractive women working in marketing. There would be fears for huge lawsuits if they knowingly hire you with your record and you get accused of sexual harassment. I know it sucks and its not fair. You best chance would be a glowing referral from someone. A lot of small companies don't do background checks also.
This would also apply to real estate for position that involves showing homes to people or even working with others in the office. I would not bother with jobs requiring background checks where there is public contact, but especially individual public contact, they will be too worried about lawsuits. An office job (cubicles) is more likely to be tolerant of the felony. Look for back room real estate jobs, such as lease administration, accounting, finance, IT. It will be much easier to move within the organization once you have a good track record there, and normally another background check is not dome for lateral moves or promotions within.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:46 PM

115 posts, read 98,571 times
OP

what is your background/experience?

Old 01-06-2017, 06:52 PM

578 posts, read 458,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I've never heard of a "sexual disclosure violation" but I am not a lawyer. .
You don't have to be a lawyer knowing their is no such thing as a "sexual disclosure violation",he committed a sex crime and is most likely registered sex offender. Now if he committed sexual harassment(misdemeanor) then different story..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search