Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2017, 10:16 AM

738 posts, read 581,711 times

Advertisements

These are the people who call you in for multiple interviews, sound very positive, then never call you back.

Sometimes, they want to milk you for free information. I'm in the middle of one of these now. Been on two interviews - now, they want a third. They don't even offer me carfare.

I flat told the guy that I need to see some recompense for the 25 hours or so research I've put in. No response after three days.

Unless I hear that there's going to be a check waiting for me, there isn't going to be any third interview. It was worth a shot, but it's another rich company that needs my charitable contribution.

Cheap. Bastards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 11:08 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,776,095 times
I had an experience like this recently. Interviewed for a "new job/department being created" but the interview involved a lot of hypothetical scenarios: "If you were in charge of this... What would you do? What software would you use? What people would you need to hire? "

I've laid out plans like that for interviews in the past... But this one felt "off". Sure enough, I was one of many people used as part of a crowdsourcing initiative to come up with ideas... With no actual job on the line. Seriously a d**k move on their part.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:44 AM

345 posts, read 250,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
These are the people who call you in for multiple interviews, sound very positive, then never call you back.

Sometimes, they want to milk you for free information. I'm in the middle of one of these now. Been on two interviews - now, they want a third. They don't even offer me carfare.

I flat told the guy that I need to see some recompense for the 25 hours or so research I've put in. No response after three days.

Unless I hear that there's going to be a check waiting for me, there isn't going to be any third interview. It was worth a shot, but it's another rich company that needs my charitable contribution.

Cheap. Bastards.
I applaud you for asking for re-compensation! Good for you.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
I applaud you for asking for re-compensation! Good for you.

They told me no. There are apparently 5 other applicants.

I told him: change your mind? great. Have a check ready. I'm a businessman, not a charity foundation.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:42 PM

345 posts, read 250,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
They told me no. There are apparently 5 other applicants.

I told him: change your mind? great. Have a check ready. I'm a businessman, not a charity foundation.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,417,213 times
I doubt this was as deep as you made it. It sounds like you over prepared and wasted your own time. I'm sure they didn't ask you to do 25 hours of research.

There is a certain power dynamic when interviewing. This isn't a victory. At the end of the day, you still don't have an offer. You've gained nothing.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I doubt this was as deep as you made it. It sounds like you over prepared and wasted your own time. I'm sure they didn't ask you to do 25 hours of research.

There is a certain power dynamic when interviewing. This isn't a victory. At the end of the day, you still don't have an offer. You've gained nothing.

Yeah I did. I operated as a businessman.

And, yes, they do expect all of that research, and more, without a dime of compensation.

I am not sorry I pursued it but it was time for me to cut my losses. There may not even be a job. They just want something for free.

I usually do my homework and find out about what the company does/makes ahead of time. This will bear fruit, eventually.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:08 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,417,213 times
I've been known to over-prepare for interviews. I seriously doubt they expected all that you did. Sure, cut your losses. Again, not a victory. I would have laughed if a candidate asked for compensation for something that wasn't requested.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I've been known to over-prepare for interviews. I seriously doubt they expected all that you did. Sure, cut your losses. Again, not a victory. I would have laughed if a candidate asked for compensation for something that wasn't requested.

But, it was requested.

I imagine they will go for some candidate who'll agree to this crap. They won't of course, know anything. Hope they lose lots of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search