Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 06:11 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times

Advertisements

I've heard Costco treats its people well. Supposed low turnover. And the Home Depot near me has had some of the same workers for over a decade. I've been going to the store since I moved here 14 years ago, and I still see plenty of the same people there. I'm actually surprised to still see them….who knew…

So there are plenty of people who stay in retail for years.
I really only want to work for 8 more years anyway.

Before the buyout offer, I had decided I was out at 65 anyway -- But it would have been the next eight years at 110K….to age 65. Then this offer came and I'm making the jump. So that's why I'm sort of willing to take anything I can get that has benefits.

I'm already looking at what will now be lower Soc. Sec. eventually. So that's why it's even more important for me to get a job ASAP, so more of my severance and house sale money can be saved and invested….not spent to live on over the next 5 years.

I've applied for about 10 PR-related jobs so far…and so far nothing. But I know 10 jobs is not even the start of a search….. In another week or two me search will really hit high gear. A job to start April first would be perfect!

Last edited by selhars; 01-25-2017 at 06:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 12:42 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
At your level, couldn't you get a cushy corporate communications job at pays over $100k and just chill out for 8 years? Are you really going to give up almost $1 mil in gross income heading into retirement?

Old 01-26-2017, 01:10 PM

Believe it or not many high level corp PR jobs aren't all that cushy.
They want to work you like a dog. (Although some do pay well)
You're the liaison to lots of committees and projects, if something goes wrong -- depending on the sector --
-- for a utility it could, God forbid, be an explosion or bad weather storm
-- for a public safety gig it could be a shoo ting or bad fire
-- for business it could be a recall (I think GM and Toyota's PR people have been working their tails off for years now)
-- every Monday morning there's new issue

You're always glad-handing and kissing people's butts.
I've had more than 30 years od high pressure deadlines. I really just don't want that anymore.

And SOME PR gigs don't even pay that much. One county gig -- for the main press person -- didn't even pay 50K. I thought about applying but it's an hour commute. Perhaps right gig, wrong location. Also, one major city school district has had about 2-3 new head PR people in three years. CLEARLY something isn't' right in that central office.

I'm moving to a paid off house, thank God. So will have no mortgage.
I just have to find the right fit of Column A -- being the money being paid -- and Column B the work I want to put out for it.

I want a gov't gig. But we all know those have dried up. I have years of expenses to get me by.
I'll just have to see what happens…..

I've thought about using a head-hunter, exec recruit firm. But to be honest, RIGHT NOW AT LEAST -- I don't have it in me to fake like I want to work. Not fake it at that level. I could fake though an interview for some job. But firms want clients who really want to work. Then again scratch that maybe I could and it might be worth it to explore that avenue…...

Now for help with dumbing down the resume anyone have any ideas…..

ETA: thanks Charly…..you're right -- a mill is a lot of money -- and just typing my last answer has encouraged ime. I think the right PR gig IS OUT THRERE. I just have to find it. As I said I've only just started looking. ANd can't start anywhere else until March anyway….with a month off…and April first start date would be perfect. I just have to get back to shaking the trees!!

Old 01-26-2017, 05:25 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Not PR. Corporate communications. Mainly internal stuff. Like this: Communications Director #436876 US-CO-Denver

Or this https://jobs.coxautoinc.com/job/-/-/...8?src=JB-10003

Old 01-26-2017, 06:39 PM

Yes I said PR just to keep it simple -- but I do know the level of Corp Comm you mean.
Depending on the company the gig may or may not be at the VP level. Some are Exec. Dir. or Directors. Managers are below that.

I'll just have to keep looking…..(at all my options)

I still would like some help on dumbing down the resume….no one has an ideas about phrasing for that?

One former colleague is VP of Corp Comm for a major non profit. She works her tail off. Another is a VP of global media relations. Another is THE head of comm for a major university…She's is tied to her PDA/cell phone 24/7. It's on her nightstand, and she checks it first thing every morning. They make six figures -- but they earn of penny of it.

I guess, ultimately I'll end up where God wants me to be.

Last edited by selhars; 01-26-2017 at 06:47 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 06:30 AM

1,160 posts, read 712,952 times
OP, I would keep your jobs on your resume but remove all but 3 bullets from each role. Focus those bullets on leadership type responsibilities.

I would address your situation in the cover letter - just tell the truth. You are semi-retired but need to continue working. Tell them what you can bring to the company/store - proven responsibility, dependability, leadership, mentoring, and hard work. I think all of those transferable skills would be valuable to any big box retail establishment.

Other than being burnt out, I'd like to be in your position - my dream semi-retired job is to be that older worker at Home Depot or Lowes ... you know, the one you hope wanders up and asks 'Can I help you find something?' as you're staring blankly at the wall of plumbing supplies not quite knowing what you need to fix the leaky sink...

Old 01-27-2017, 09:51 AM

Thanks…for the ideas…..but I'm not semi anything I'm only leaving my main career because they've offered an unexpected severance -- and I'm taking the leap. Before this, I had finally accepted putting in another 8 years where I was. I'm the youngest person taking the offer and the only one NOT retirement age. I'm also the only one with no spouse who has another salary they can live on. I could have stayed but I really, really just didn't want to. I've got a paid off house, so as I said -- I'm taking the leap.

I need another full time job -- just like every other poor schlub out there.

I love your suggestions about all I can bring to the company.
Another friend also liked the idea High Altitude suggested about going to a store in person, talking with the manager and making an impression.

Last edited by selhars; 01-27-2017 at 10:43 AM..

Old 02-11-2017, 04:48 PM

7 posts, read 2,662 times
I agree that this is a conversation you can have with a manager. Just submitting your resume will out-price you (your compensation will be considered too high). Explain your situation directly and that should help tremendously.

Hope that helps!

Old 09-07-2017, 09:46 PM

OP, here.....I've finally made the decision to just leave off my Master's Degree.

It's not relevant to the jobs I'm applying for.
Now if they ask me 'what's the highest level of education you have?" Well, then....I don't want to lie, but the M.A. still isn't relevant.

I actually DO want a total career change to a job I'm way overqualified for. And I'm afraid the degree could get in the way. Saying I have a Bachelor's is moooore than enough.

We'll see what happens.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:09 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OP, here.....I've finally made the decision to just leave off my Master's Degree.

It's not relevant to the jobs I'm applying for.
Now if they ask me 'what's the highest level of education you have?" Well, then....I don't want to lie, but the M.A. still isn't relevant.

I actually DO want a total career change to a job I'm way overqualified for. And I'm afraid the degree could get in the way. Saying I have a Bachelor's is moooore than enough.

We'll see what happens.
how come you don't apply for jobs that are relevant then? do you lack the experience to be competitive for those jobs?

confused on how you are overqualified for a job but don't apply for jobs that are higher tier so you won't be overqualified?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search