Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 02:29 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,002 times

Advertisements

different things, sorry I could not fit everything on the title, yes I've been struggling to get a job, although lately I had my first job interview in a very long time recently, like 3 weeks ago at Albertson's, the Grocery store, but I did not get hired, I called them and they told me that everyone who got interviews did not get hired because the strike did not end up happening. Anyway, yes I will be honest that I am inexperienced, I have been unemployed since October 2007, and I will be honest that I have stood in the way of me getting a job because I have gotten very pissed off, tired and frustrated of applying at so many places and not getting a phone call back, not getting any kind of response back, as in no interview, and not getting hired, so it has been me being passive but lately since the Month of May of this year I've been Volunteering to gain references, taking charge and initiative for my life. But anyway, what I find to be very unfair is that employers want you to have experience but how do you gain experience if nobody will give you a chance? there is always a first time for everything in life.
Also, these are entry-level jobs I have been applying at, places such as grocery stores, fast-food places such as McDonalds, In-N-Out, Burger King, etc. Movie Theaters, Clothing Stores, Retail, customer-service jobs, and I can't even get an interview from those places, let alone getting hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 02:45 PM

810 posts, read 1,762,782 times
I feel the same way, I have been working since I was in my teens and I have a solid work history however it seems like a act of god to even get to talk to someone for a interview let alone actually get a real interview, I have only had 2 2nd interviews so I am beginning to think that it is me. I dont know.
Try to stay positive and don't get discouraged you have to keep trying I think part of the problem is that they are plenty of people with aa's and ba's applying for low wage jobs.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
I feel the same way, I have been working since I was in my teens and I have a solid work history however it seems like a act of god to even get to talk to someone for a interview let alone actually get a real interview, I have only had 2 2nd interviews so I am beginning to think that it is me. I dont know.
Try to stay positive and don't get discouraged you have to keep trying I think part of the problem is that they are plenty of people with aa's and ba's applying for low wage jobs.
yeah, also i'm 23 and I have only had 1 real job in my life, yes I know that is very weird, that most people at ages 21 through 23 have had like 4 or 5 real jobs in their life-time already, seriously, how do you gain experience if nobody will give you a chance? there is always a first time for everything in life, nobody is born with "knowing how to operate a Cash Register"

Old 10-02-2011, 03:04 PM

should I have started this discussing in the work and employment section instead of the unemployment?

Old 10-02-2011, 04:01 PM

I would really like some advice please, the fact that I've been unemployed for 4 years now, have only had 1 real job in my life-time, does that mean I am doomed?

Old 10-02-2011, 04:36 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
What was the 1 job that you had? The economy and job market was ok from Oct 2007 to summer 2008. If you could get a job back then it's way harder now. As long as you don't have a felony or probation, - job hunting should be relatively easier.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
What was the 1 job that you had? The economy and job market was ok from Oct 2007 to summer 2008. If you could get a job back then it's way harder now. As long as you don't have a felony or probation, - job hunting should be relatively easier.
I worked at Disneyland from July 2007 to October 2007, was fired from there

Old 10-02-2011, 05:10 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
different things, sorry I could not fit everything on the title, yes I've been struggling to get a job, although lately I had my first job interview in a very long time recently, like 3 weeks ago at Albertson's, the Grocery store, but I did not get hired, I called them and they told me that everyone who got interviews did not get hired because the strike did not end up happening. Anyway, yes I will be honest that I am inexperienced, I have been unemployed since October 2007, and I will be honest that I have stood in the way of me getting a job because I have gotten very pissed off, tired and frustrated of applying at so many places and not getting a phone call back, not getting any kind of response back, as in no interview, and not getting hired, so it has been me being passive but lately since the Month of May of this year I've been Volunteering to gain references, taking charge and initiative for my life. But anyway, what I find to be very unfair is that employers want you to have experience but how do you gain experience if nobody will give you a chance? there is always a first time for everything in life.
Also, these are entry-level jobs I have been applying at, places such as grocery stores, fast-food places such as McDonalds, In-N-Out, Burger King, etc. Movie Theaters, Clothing Stores, Retail, customer-service jobs, and I can't even get an interview from those places, let alone getting hired.
I have been underemployed (scattered temp jobs) since 2009 and cannot get hired due to 'bad credit'. Seems like every company does a full background that includes credit. Since I have bad debt, the background check comes back as a fail

Old 10-02-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
I have been underemployed (scattered temp jobs) since 2009 and cannot get hired due to 'bad credit'. Seems like every company does a full background that includes credit. Since I have bad debt, the background check comes back as a fail
c'mon, people in life deserve a second chance, espescially for employment, c'mon we all have to work for a living

Old 10-02-2011, 11:57 PM

but I heard that in California it is illegal for employers to give out information why you were fired
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search