Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 11:43 AM

724 posts, read 448,043 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience with any of them? I was looking at topresume.com and they got bad reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 11:59 AM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
Stay away from any service that does not identify a human being as its owner. Best sites to look at options include:

Professional Association of Resume Writers
National Association of Resume Writers
Career Directors International
Resume Writing Academy

Old 03-14-2017, 10:00 AM

Maybe I will just keep the resume I have. I may not have all the keywords needed or whatever but I keep getting replies on craigslist. No job but made a few contacts for the future so maybe my resume is not so bad. One thing I don't have is a cover letter. are there are good services for that?

Old 03-14-2017, 10:04 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShades View Post
Maybe I will just keep the resume I have. I may not have all the keywords needed or whatever but I keep getting replies on craigslist. No job but made a few contacts for the future so maybe my resume is not so bad. One thing I don't have is a cover letter. are there are good services for that?
Don't bother paying for this. Find a nice template online and then just adjust it slightly based on each position you apply for.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:18 AM

Any good templates you recommend ?

Old 03-14-2017, 10:36 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Don't bother paying for this. Find a nice template online and then just adjust it slightly based on each position you apply for.
Totally agree

Google resumes online of people with the same background and use those ideas.

Unless directed otherwise - don't waste your time with a cover letter (if you do send one make it short and sweet) and certainly don't pay someone to put one together for you.
Additionally there shouldn't be anything on a cover letter that doesn't appear on the resume.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:55 AM

Every article I have read online has said a cover letter is a must if you wan to stand out.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:19 AM

856 posts, read 1,051,495 times
Exclamation Professional Resume Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShades View Post
Every article I have read online has said a cover letter is a must if you wan to stand out.

I have given to staying out of this question (which comes up a lot) since one, there are many experienced, mature employers here who will give you valid pointers and two, there are as many opinions about this as there are atoms on the head of a pin, even, unfortunately, among recruiters.

There are 'professional resume writers' who are still telling people to write job description-oriented resumes;

Too many 'resume writers' are in fact, graphic artists, not resume writers.

Cover Letters-

Half or more of the world say to use one, the other half or more say not to.

The best suggestion I've seen here is to use one if it is requested.

A Cover Letter is a Pre-Close. It is meant to give a thumbnail view of why someone should be hired.

It cites the job and ID#, addresses an appropriate person (not "to whom, etc.". Use LinkedIn and/or Google to find out who is doing the hiring for the position and then use that person's name and title), state the basic reason why you are a best choice, then list only two or three bullets of experience/accomplishment that demonstrate examples of why you are a 'best choice' (contrary to some here, yes, those bullets may come from your resume. IOW, it is okay to duplicate the bullets of your resume onto your CL.)

If you have any other particular reason why you should be considered, so state that reason (keep it brief!), then indicate either that you will follow up in a day or so or choose to say you 'look forward to hearing' from that person at their 'best convenience'.

Employers and Recruiters say they give a resume six seconds. If you have written your CL effectively, that six seconds on the CL will let them know that looking over your resume in detail will be to their advantage.

If they skip reading your CL, no harm done, especially if you have written an effectively written resume.

Now, back to what is an 'effectively written' resume......

Paul..............

Old 03-14-2017, 11:39 AM

What about putting complete address on resume? I only have city and zip code.

I just noticed a terrible mistake on my resume ,I typed a word twice and it was in the relevant section for a job I sent it out for

Last edited by JoeShades; 03-14-2017 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search