U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2017, 12:10 PM
 
738 posts, read 500,902 times
Reputation: 620

Advertisements

Here's a good one: send an actual letter with a stamp to the decison maker. Completely bypasses the Department of Stupid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2017, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
11,967 posts, read 10,728,977 times
Reputation: 19894
As a hiring manager, I would immediately throw the resume and cover letter into the trash without review. All applicants go through our HR portal to be eligible for review.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 07:55 PM
 
9,562 posts, read 5,690,027 times
Reputation: 26093
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
As a hiring manager, I would immediately throw the resume and cover letter into the trash without review. All applicants go through our HR portal to be eligible for review.
What he said.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 04:54 AM
 
486 posts, read 869,829 times
Reputation: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
As a hiring manager, I would immediately throw the resume and cover letter into the trash without review. All applicants go through our HR portal to be eligible for review.
Nothing like living outside the box...

My sister was hired directly by her boss, he bypassed HR. Oh the horrors!

HR isn't the end all and be all in the hiring process. I should know, I worked in HR for a large retailer as the HRIS Administrator. It is who you know that gets you the job.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 08:28 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,044 posts, read 65,579,280 times
Reputation: 41530
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
Nothing like living outside the box...

My sister was hired directly by her boss, he bypassed HR. Oh the horrors!

HR isn't the end all and be all in the hiring process. I should know, I worked in HR for a large retailer as the HRIS Administrator. It is who you know that gets you the job.
While that may be true in some cases, especially in retail, most employers including mine are as described by the previous 2 posters. I'm a hiring manager and would discard anything sent directly to me. If contacted in person, by phone or email, I would refer them to the employment page on our website, the only way to apply here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 08:47 AM
 
738 posts, read 500,902 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
Nothing like living outside the box...

My sister was hired directly by her boss, he bypassed HR. Oh the horrors!

HR isn't the end all and be all in the hiring process. I should know, I worked in HR for a large retailer as the HRIS Administrator. It is who you know that gets you the job.

Well said.


HR can't say yes; they can only say maybe.


They are ninnies who screen out all manner of talented people. The great wall of stupid.


I am not going to waste my time with online application crap through HR.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 08:59 AM
 
738 posts, read 500,902 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
As a hiring manager, I would immediately throw the resume and cover letter into the trash without review. All applicants go through our HR portal to be eligible for review.
I'd never send it to you in the first place. Waste of a stamp.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 09:04 AM
 
738 posts, read 500,902 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
What he said.

A corporate ninny is a corporate ninny.


Nobody with any brains would want to work for you anyway. Happy morons.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
337 posts, read 200,556 times
Reputation: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
Here's a good one: send an actual letter with a stamp to the decision maker. Completely bypasses the Department of Stupid.
I tried that before and it worked--in 1991. The hiring manager had a chemist who had just given his two week notice so my timing was perfect.

As a hiring manager I might look at the resume and cover letter if I had a position open and I was getting nowhere with my current pool of candidates. But that's a big if.

I follow Liz Ryan on LinkedIn and she writes articles all the time about mailing your 'dragon slaying resume' and 'pain letter' directly to the hiring manager. As you can read from the other hiring manager's comments on this thread it would go into the circular file.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 09:06 AM
 
738 posts, read 500,902 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
I tried that before and it worked--in 1991. The hiring manager had a chemist who had just given his two week notice so my timing was perfect.

As a hiring manager I might look at the resume and cover letter if I had a position open and I was getting nowhere with my current pool of candidates. But that's a big if.

I follow Liz Ryan on LinkedIn and she writes articles all the time about mailing your 'dragon slaying resume' and 'pain letter' directly to the hiring manager. As you can read from the other hiring manager's comments on this thread it would go into the circular file.

I've got several interviews that way.


One can't fight The Stupids. One can only go around them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:04 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top