Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 04:14 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,095,181 times

Advertisements

Just saw your thread.

I went through this back in 2009. Worst year of my life.

I live in a tough job market for non-Engineer/Rocket Scientiest or military background.

What I found is door to door sales. Could be lawn care, cable/internet - but try to find a big company, TruGreen, Comcast, Spectrum, etc - they tend to burn through reps, but it does pay and some of the best sales people have no experience - they learn the process, work hard and make money.

I met a guy in the cable industry who never sold anything in his life, by his 4th year he was making $100k per year. I'm not in his league by any means, but I do okay.

Last thing - you can jump ahead of people on the list by making a call and asking for the sales manager. They like people willing to break down barriers. Be a bit aggressive and it should pay off.

Good luck with your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 04:19 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
My question is... are you asking market rate? Above or below - and by how much. Also are you using an agency or are you out there fighting alone?

Old 04-25-2017, 11:08 AM

8,204 posts, read 3,477,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I have been applying for jobs for a year. I am still unemployed. I have 25+ years experience in various industries, 3 degrees, no criminal history, excellent credit and references. I have applied to 203 jobs since March 2016, I have been on 24 interviews. Only one job offer, for a part-time job, $13/hr. I turned it down last July, because I thought I had enough experience and education to warrant $15/hr and I need full-time work in order to survive and live.

What a fool I was...

Fast forward to March 2017 and I am still unemployed and facing homelessness.

So I have decided to apply for part-time minimum wage jobs, entry level jobs. You know what many employed people say to the unemployed "Clean toilets! Why be so picky?"

OK. So this morning I decide to apply to Hotel Housekeeping jobs on Indeed. Wow. Just Wow. Over 300 people applied to one hotel housekeeping job, part-time, minimum wage. What are the chances I get *that* job? Are they going to peruse my resume and decide to hire some egg-head with 3 degrees, over the other 300 people who applied? I doubt it.

I also saw a part-time minimum wage job for a data entry person at a produce market. The hours were 3 am - 7 am. Over 175 people applied to that position, even with the crappy hours. The job market is in the toilet, and I don't see Trump doing anything to make it better.

It is NOT easy to settle for a minimum wage job, as even minimum wage part-time toilet cleaning jobs are few and far between with hundreds of people applying for one job opening.

Mod cut.

It doesn't get any better. I lost my last job December 24, 2009. I have been called on three job interviews since 2009. I went to a few walk-in interviews and got interviewed at only two of those. I have received zero job offers since 2009. I have been homeless off and on many times since 2010. I am currently homeless again.

If you get offered another part-time position again I suggest you take it. At least it would be something. I hope you are offered another position again.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
A lot of people in the employment forum need therapy or read some self help books. A lot of people on this forum are their own worst enemy. If you don't think the negativity, self pity, woah is me, I am unemployable attitude doesn't ooze out of you in an interview, you are sorely mistaken.
Someone would have to have zero normal human emotions to not become negative after years of rejection while being under constant societal judgment for being unemployed.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:12 PM

881 posts, read 614,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I have been homeless off and on many times since 2010. I am currently homeless again.
Hey, just curious: where're you located? How come you don't come over to wonderful NYC, where, despite all its many flaws, the shelter system and the overall Poverty Industrial Complex still seem to offer the best hope for many homeless?? I'm serious -- we've got a lot of out-of-staters and even quite a few foreigners, too!

Old 04-25-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
Hey, just curious: where're you located? How come you don't come over to wonderful NYC, where, despite all its many flaws, the shelter system and the overall Poverty Industrial Complex still seem to offer the best hope for many homeless?? I'm serious -- we've got a lot of out-of-staters and even quite a few foreigners, too!
I'm in KY. NYC is way too expensive. Probably a lot of homeless up there. Although there's a lot around here too. There are people living in storage sheds and in vehicles at Wal-mart around here. Last year when I was homeless there were over a dozen homeless in the Wal-mart parking lot.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:28 PM

486 posts, read 991,641 times
Quote:
It doesn't get any better. I lost my last job December 24, 2009. I have been called on three job interviews since 2009. I went to a few walk-in interviews and got interviewed at only two of those. I have received zero job offers since 2009. I have been homeless off and on many times since 2010. I am currently homeless again.

If you get offered another part-time position again I suggest you take it. At least it would be something. I hope you are offered another position again.
Sorry to hear about your job situation and being homeless. It really sucks out there, at least for certain people. Others seem to get jobs with no problems, I can't figure it out. Looks like I will have to see if my mom can let me borrow $3,000 or in six months I will be homeless too. I have absolutely no money coming in, except for crumbs from my mom doing odd jobs around her house.

You are right, if I get offered another position (and if it is a real offer) I will take it. My last real job offer was back in July 2016, I had only been searching for a few months and I figured with unemployment being low and with my education and experience I should be able to find a full-time job with a salary of $14-15 an hour.

Boy was I ever wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Too late now. I scr*wed the pooch. The chance of me being offered another position, regardless of how many jobs I apply to and interview for, is less than zero. I have finally realized the truth. It is over.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Someone would have to have zero normal human emotions to not become negative after years of rejection while being under constant societal judgment for being unemployed.
Employed people do not want to understand the unemployed. Too icky. Better to say to the unemployed, that it is ALL their fault. 100%.

Plus the unemployed must always been perky and optimistic 24/7/365. Who cares if you have been rejected after going on 29 interviews out of 240 job applications in 15 months of job searching. One must always be happy and working harder for that next big opportunity just around the corner.

Yeah...maybe if I had some happy pills I could get through another 29 interviews with a smile on my face, so the interviewers can see I am finally the right FIT FIT FIT FIT FIT FIT FIT.

Yeah, I am pissed, and I am going to revel in my miserableness. I deserve it. At least for today.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:10 PM

Ok here ya go...something to laugh about if it wasn't so true, at least in *my* life. My "take" on job searching and interviewing. (click on Vimeo link below to watch my cartoon)

Dave and Holly Music Video 1: Don’t You Care?

[vimeo]166844016[/vimeo]
[vimeo]166844016[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/166844016

A cartoon dedicated to all the unemployed Americans looking for work. Something you can use after your next job interview to propel you to the top of the job candidates' list!

Old 04-25-2017, 05:16 PM

179 posts, read 155,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
Ok here ya go...something to laugh about if it wasn't so true, at least in *my* life. My "take" on job searching and interviewing. (click on Vimeo link below to watch my cartoon)

Dave and Holly Music Video 1: Don’t You Care?

[vimeo]166844016[/vimeo]
[vimeo]166844016[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/166844016

A cartoon dedicated to all the unemployed Americans looking for work. Something you can use after your next job interview to propel you to the top of the job candidates' list!
That video is funny! I like Dave!

Hey Peebola, the next time you go on an interview, wear a Fitbit and if they ask you if you have any questions say:

"No, but I know I'm the right fit for this company because I'm even wearing a fitbit!"

I'm sure they won't have a clue what you're talking about... because it's a joke (but is it???).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search