Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 01:43 PM

679 posts, read 812,320 times

Advertisements

Some interviewers are better than others. I've had great ones and ones that represented their companies poorly.

A previous poster made the point about when the economy turns to the positive and employees are hard to find. It wasn't that many years ago when people were being "recruited" and the interview was a much different process.

In some industries, its been happening again. Mine is one. If you are an experienced loan underwriter, processor, or any other operations skill, you get recruited every week. Even sales people like me get calls from other banks.

Hang in there, and don't get discouraged if you get a rude interviewer. "Their loss" is the attitude I would take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 01:59 PM

229 posts, read 240,777 times
When I have been treated poorly at an interview it effects how I feel about the company. There are services I have never used and restaurants I have never gone to because of the interview. They don't seem to understand how they represent the company.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:26 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Siam View Post
When I have been treated poorly at an interview it effects how I feel about the company. There are services I have never used and restaurants I have never gone to because of the interview. They don't seem to understand how they represent the company.
Absolutely agree. At least with your standard run-of-the-mill office job, treating a candidate unprofessionally isn't such of a big deal. They won't want to work for you and at worst will write a poor review. But for any public-based retail environment and your applicants are potential (or existing) customers, you better make damn sure you're representing the organization in a positive and professional manner because losing business over easily avoidable unprofessionalism is a boneheaded move.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:45 AM

486 posts, read 992,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoX2 View Post
Are you for real? LoL. What are these employers thinking?
Yes I am for real, unfortunately.

Employers are just everyday people, your neighbors, drivers on the roads, people at the grocery store...

You get good and bad people in life, which means you get good and bad employers/interviews. I laugh at the bad interviews, some of them really are funny.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:53 PM

179 posts, read 155,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Are you too timid to take off your own coat? Why are you walking around their workplace with a coat on?
I went on interview in a room that was unheated. Thank God for my coat or I would have froze my patooty off. Apparently being in a room that was barely above freezing in the winter was commonplace at that company. I didn't get that job. Wait... I told the woman at the interview that I wasn't interested. Etiquette works both ways and silly me, I like to work someplace that has heat.

Quote:
Etiquette works both ways. You arrive a few minutes early and take off your coat. When introduced to the HM, you have your coat over your left arm and you shake hands. They indicate a place for you to put your coat and the interview begins.
Bah ha ha! When? When do they indicate a place for you to put your coat? Never happened to me. I suppose I could have said "where do I put my coat?" But why should I? They're the hosts, not me. Actually I like my coat over my right arm after I shake hands.

Quote:
You don't sit there in your coat like a homeless person about to scamper for the door.
Enough bungled social interactions like this can cost you a job
LOL! So funny. I have reams and reams of the antisocial behavior of interviewers. Actually just look at this forum.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:31 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
I went on interview in a room that was unheated. Thank God for my coat or I would have froze my patooty off. Apparently being in a room that was barely above freezing in the winter was commonplace at that company. I didn't get that job. Wait... I told the woman at the interview that I wasn't interested. Etiquette works both ways and silly me, I like to work someplace that has heat.
It is reasonable to want to work someplace with heat, I agree. That doesn't make your interview the norm. The norm is a place with heat and the candidate takes their coat off.

Quote:
Bah ha ha! When? When do they indicate a place for you to put your coat? Never happened to me. I suppose I could have said "where do I put my coat?" But why should I? They're the hosts, not me. Actually I like my coat over my right arm after I shake hands.
Now you are being antagonistic just for the sake of arguing. It is quite evident and if you take this into an interview with you it will count against you.

Quote:
LOL! So funny. I have reams and reams of the antisocial behavior of interviewers. Actually just look at this forum.
Yes, some interviewers are idiots. I have been on some of these interviews myself. It sucks. But the key difference is that those people already have a job, and the candidate is looking, and therefore has the higher burden. Inherently unfair to be sure, but that is the reality of the world.

Many interviewers are fine, polite people, going through a slightly awkward situation with some grace. I hope you meet some, and I hope you can keep your attitude under control when you do.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:35 AM

179 posts, read 155,927 times
Quote:
Many interviewers are fine, polite people, going through a slightly awkward situation with some grace. I hope you meet some, and I hope you can keep your attitude under control when you do.
What attitude? Oops, it's that damn sense of humor again. I shall stuff it down and far away whilst I am in proper society. You're right though, my status is arrogant sob. No worries! Interviewing is not rocket science and it's not the end of the world. It's just something to do and there are no PERFECT rules. Sorry, not when humans are involved.

Where is the comedy C-D forum??? I notice that there isn't one? Hmmm ....

Old 03-23-2017, 06:26 AM

486 posts, read 992,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I have had many interviews where the interviewer(s) ended the interview abruptly.

One interview, last year, the interviewee (a woman) asked me a question about Microsoft Publisher. I answered her question, then she jumped up from the desk, ran to the corner of the room and looked up at the ceiling. She didn't say a word to me the rest of the interview, as she stared at the ceiling. The other interviewers (I had to interview with multiple people at one time), looked at her like she was some sort of fruitcake. Not surprisingly, the interview ended shortly afterward. I didn't get the job and I never heard from them again (no rejection notice - yet again I went into the black hole of nothingness).
Oh my "Universe!" I just saw the "staring at the ceiling woman" job that I interviewed for a year ago, go back up on the job boards today. This is the second time I have seen the job go back up on the boards since I interviewed for the job and was rejected into the black hole of nothingness.

I guess that purple unicorn is getting more and more elusive...or perhaps *that* workplace is is full of crazy ceiling staring loons who can't work with anyone.

I swear it is not me...it is everyone else.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:27 AM

156 posts, read 123,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
Oh my "Universe!" I just saw the "staring at the ceiling woman" job that I interviewed for a year ago, go back up on the job boards today. This is the second time I have seen the job go back up on the boards since I interviewed for the job and was rejected into the black hole of nothingness.

I guess that purple unicorn is getting more and more elusive...or perhaps *that* workplace is is full of crazy ceiling staring loons who can't work with anyone.

I swear it is not me...it is everyone else.
You probably dodged a bullet and did you a favor by never hearing from them again. I use to always think that it's me as well but I'm beginning to think otherwise.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:06 PM

334 posts, read 221,497 times
I once went on an interview (already had a decent full-time job, but was looking for a better opportunity) and ended it. The gal who was interviewing me was the former assistant to the CEO and told me how he can scream and yell if you don't make the coffee first thing in the morning. Now, this was in the late 90's, we aren't talking the 1950's here. You have to serve him his coffee and have it waiting on his desk when he comes in. She also mentioned that there were a lot of other things like cleaning his office and such and the reason the position is open is because she moved into another position. She stated, "He wants to find someone who will do the things that I refuse to do." This went on for awhile. She got up and wanted to see if the CEO was available to meet with me. I was sitting there thinking, "I do not want this job. My current job is way better. What am I going to do???" So, when she came back and said, "Steve will be with us shortly," I said, "You know what? I don't want to go any further in this interview." She said (with an arrogant smirk on her face), "OH, so ya think you can't do the job, huh?" I said, "Oh, no. I KNOW I can do it. I just don't want to do it." Again she smirked and said, "You can't do it, huh?" I said, "AGAIN, Yes, I can do it. I just do NOT want to do it because what you are asking for an executive assistant is more like the 50's than the 1990's." With that, we got up, she walked me out. I shook her hand and said, "Thank you for your time."

What really ticked me off was the time I took off of work to go on this interview. This is why I truly love the initial phone interviews because you can find out more information before you take time off of work to go to a face to face interview. Or if you are unemployed, at least you aren't wasting gas to go on an interview that is truly not a good place for you.

As far as the interviewer being late for interviews. It's happened to me more times than I can count, even in the 90's when it was an employee market. I've had phone interviews where they never called. Then, they contacted me to reschedule it and promised they'd call. Second time, they did not call again. I reamed out one H/R girl for it. And I do mean "girl." She sounded like she was in her early 20's. Told her that this was the second time she was supposed to call me and to please take me off of their list as I will NEVER EVER apply to work for them again. She called later that day, left me a vm and said that she did try to call by that my phone said it was unavailable. Yeah, right. I was sitting in my car looking at my phone and waiting for her to call. I had a good signal and everything. B.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search