Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 06:21 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,084,465 times

Advertisements

Have a question I was hoping some if my CD'Rs could give insight to.

I have been searching for a better job and have an interview tomorrow. I previously left an 11 year job due to restructuring. Since leaving I have been at my current job six months. I did not have it on my resume, and increasingly have been getting many callbacks, though my last job has 2016 as an end date. The place I work is a dead end, im treated well but not what I want to be doing long term.

I have a continuous work history going back to 1998 with only 2 jobs on it. I didn't put this on the resume because it is still short term, and would bring my resume to two pages. My question is how do I address why its not on my resume? I would also give my current place 2 full weeks notice If I accepted another job, so I wont lie and say Im not working.

Thanks for any insight into this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 03:12 PM

155 posts, read 122,901 times
I've always wondered about this too. Just don't update your Linkedin account yet because employers might know that way.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:32 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Since leaving I have been at my current job six months. I did not have it on my resume
I have a continuous work history going back to 1998 with only 2 jobs on it.
Add your current employer and decrease the leading between the text in your paragraphs to make it fit on one page.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:32 PM

Thank you all. I had a successful interview. They want 3-5 references on company letterheads. I have references but they would not be on letterhead. Two are individuals and one is my last job where I left eligible for rehire. I have never heard of this requirement. Is this a must in this case?

Old 03-22-2017, 08:30 PM

If that's what they want, and you really want this job, do what you can.

Your list of References should only include people you've already talked to about being a reference, with the address and title they give you.

So just email each of them and ask for a formal reference in letter form.

They can send it to you in a PDF.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:23 PM

Default Update.

Wanted to drop in and provide an update. The resume tips and other advice has been really helpful, though I just got a rejection email after 4 short interviews. Still at the current job, still getting callbacks. I said thanks, but will say it again. Quite a few of you have made a lot of posts that helped others also. Truly some good people here.

Drew S.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:53 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,995,249 times
Sorry to hear that you didn't land the job. At this point I would add that third job to your resume. The first job you held started 19 years ago, so whatever you did or accomplished is going to be pretty stale by now. A job that old doesn't get much more than dates and title on a resume.

For future reference/other posters, the request for references on company letterhead is probably a preference rather than a requirement. If you are a competitive candidate, they will probably let that slide a bit rather than disqualify you on a technicality.

It seems a bit odd in any case. I have former employees ask me for references upon occasion, and I am happy to give them, but I have also moved on over the years. I no longer have access to the previous company's letterhead, and it would be inappropriate to use letterhead from my current employer. I understand the desire to get an official reference, but it would be tough for most people to accomplish.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Sorry to hear that you didn't land the job. At this point I would add that third job to your resume. The first job you held started 19 years ago, so whatever you did or accomplished is going to be pretty stale by now. A job that old doesn't get much more than dates and title on a resume.

For future reference/other posters, the request for references on company letterhead is probably a preference rather than a requirement. If you are a competitive candidate, they will probably let that slide a bit rather than disqualify you on a technicality.

It seems a bit odd in any case. I have former employees ask me for references upon occasion, and I am happy to give them, but I have also moved on over the years. I no longer have access to the previous company's letterhead, and it would be inappropriate to use letterhead from my current employer. I understand the desire to get an official reference, but it would be tough for most people to accomplish.
The one asking for a letterhead was a separate one from the recent one I went on several interviews for. No letterhead requested and my references and former long term company were called and they let me know they gave me positive feedback. I have been tailoring my resume and getting callbacks and interviews. Two so far I came close with references checked and the recent one with a few interviews. Im still employed and have to take hours off to interview that I don't get paid for (tiny office with 7 people working) so I have to choose carefully. Guess opportunity will hopefully meet preparation when the time is right. Life goes on, I still have work so will stay positive and move forward

Old 08-11-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I have been tailoring my resume and getting callbacks and interviews. Two so far I came close with references checked and the recent one with a few interviews.
Good for you! Keep on trucking.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:47 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,246,571 times
I'm going to go against the tide here. If your current position (or any past job) has nothing to contribute to the career you're seeking, don't add it and that's your reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search