Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 03:26 PM

267 posts, read 1,835,634 times

Advertisements

Lets say you move out of state for your spouse's new job and they require you stay with the company for 2 years, otherwise you would have to pay them back all your relocation costs if you quit before then. After 2 years you can still work for them or move on and not worry about paying them back. Your spouse likes his job alot but neither of you are totally in love with the new state either. Well that is our situation. We are thinking of moving back to our home state when my husband's two years is up. We really miss our families and are 2000 miles away from all of them. It can be very hard and lonesome at times. The new state we live in is nice but I don't think we want to call it home.

My husband's two year contract with his job will be up in April 2009. When would be the best time to start looking for an out of state job (back in our hometown)? Six months, three months? All though there is no rush for us to move back, I don't want to be here any longer than we have to.

I'm thinking if he applies to early for some jobs, and if they interview and like him, they won't want to hire him because they don't want to wait til April 2009.

I don't know if any of it is making any sense. But we are just looking for some advice on when to start looking again. Anybody move out of state for a job and regretted it?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 09:59 PM

421 posts, read 1,337,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
Lets say you move out of state for your spouse's new job and they require you stay with the company for 2 years, otherwise you would have to pay them back all your relocation costs if you quit before then. After 2 years you can still work for them or move on and not worry about paying them back. Your spouse likes his job alot but neither of you are totally in love with the new state either. Well that is our situation. We are thinking of moving back to our home state when my husband's two years is up. We really miss our families and are 2000 miles away from all of them. It can be very hard and lonesome at times. The new state we live in is nice but I don't think we want to call it home.

My husband's two year contract with his job will be up in April 2009. When would be the best time to start looking for an out of state job (back in our hometown)? Six months, three months? All though there is no rush for us to move back, I don't want to be here any longer than we have to.

I'm thinking if he applies to early for some jobs, and if they interview and like him, they won't want to hire him because they don't want to wait til April 2009.

I don't know if any of it is making any sense. But we are just looking for some advice on when to start looking again. Anybody move out of state for a job and regretted it?

Thanks for the help!
I wouldn't apply for anything until it gets a lot closer to "moving day". Most employers want to know that you are available right away. Three months maybe ok, depending on what your husband does and what type of company he'd be working for. However, you may want to scale it down to two months and have a definate move date.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the reply Soontob. I think a few months before the actual date, hubby is going to polish up his resume and maybe put it out on one of the job sites. I really really hope we get to move back home. Sometimes I don't think I can stand it here any longer. Its like that Tom Petty song, "The waiting is the hardest part..."

Old 03-08-2008, 05:47 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,545,468 times
Also - depending on the level he is looking for you may be able to negotiate a starting / signing bonus that you could use to pay back the current company. Most companies will prorate what you owe them -- so if their payback period is 2 years, after 1 year you would only owe 1/2 the expenses, and after 18 months you would only owe them 1/4 the expenses, etc..

so if you were in the 6 month out window, and they do pro-rate expenses, hopefully that wouldn't be too bad to pay back, if it was for a great opportunity. Plus, if you negotiate a signing bonus - then its not out of your pocket at all!

good luck!

Old 03-08-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Soontob. I think a few months before the actual date, hubby is going to polish up his resume and maybe put it out on one of the job sites. I really really hope we get to move back home. Sometimes I don't think I can stand it here any longer. Its like that Tom Petty song, "The waiting is the hardest part..."
luv80's,
I know just what you are feeling. I hope it all works out for you.
Keep us updated.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:32 PM

Thank you. I hope it works out too. I'm sure it will. I feel bad though because I'm the one who really wants to move back home. My husband hates the city where we were from but will move back there to be close to his parents and siblings. Other than that he could care less about ever going back. I, on the other hand, would move back in a heartbeat. I also want our two small kids to growup with grandparents and their cousins etc. Something they don't have being 2000 miles away. I know there are times we can visit each other but its not like living in the same city and growing up with family around. I feel like we're all missing out on something being so far away.

Am I being selfish for wanting us to move back to Texas? We are in VT right now and it sooooo boring here. Okay, it isn't that bad. Great place but not where I want to spend the rest of my life.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I hope it works out too. I'm sure it will. I feel bad though because I'm the one who really wants to move back home. My husband hates the city where we were from but will move back there to be close to his parents and siblings. Other than that he could care less about ever going back. I, on the other hand, would move back in a heartbeat. I also want our two small kids to growup with grandparents and their cousins etc. Something they don't have being 2000 miles away. I know there are times we can visit each other but its not like living in the same city and growing up with family around. I feel like we're all missing out on something being so far away.

Am I being selfish for wanting us to move back to Texas? We are in VT right now and it sooooo boring here. Okay, it isn't that bad. Great place but not where I want to spend the rest of my life.
I wouldn't say you are being selfish. Provided you aren't throwing temper tantrums? LOL.
Is your husband ok with moving or is he now unhappy?

Old 03-12-2008, 11:00 AM

I try not to throw too many tantrums, lol.
He has mixed feelings about moving. The only reason he wants to go back is to be with his family. He misses them alot. Mainly, though he is moving back for me. If I didn't want to go back he'd be fine with us staying here. I guess we will see how it goes. Maybe I'll change my mind and want to stay here....yeah right, haha.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:27 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
2 months at most. Tell them in the cover letter that it is your home and you are moving back after "being on a contract in _____ for the past few years".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search