U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2017, 09:18 PM

6 posts, read 10,305 times

Advertisements

Greetings Everyone. Hope all well! My first thread joining today!

I am going through Hire_Right background check . I remember company recruiter asking me my salary plus bonuses. I realized my base salary and overtime work is $4500 less than what I told the recruiter when posed but that I remember saying I made about ~90k. My last paycheck clearly states that it is on-call/overtime, but she asked about bonuses, now i remember clearly. I said my bonuses with base is ~90k. Not only it is not bonus, but on-call/overtime, the total compensation is $4500 less, but truthfully I was not inflating or anything. I just said its is about ~90k. Few days later once again she asked what my bonus was, I said 12k subtracting total of ~90k from my base salary in my head!. . that is what i was thinking at the time not knowing this could be big deal, but the recruiter told me i will present my w2 during check. i sense she is waiting for it and will double check all what I said during the process.

I could do two things: ( they will ask me this week possibly to prove via w2 or pay stub)

1. present w2 which does not differentiate bonus or on call, but total compensation of 85.5K ( which is 4.5k is shorter)
2. present last years last pay stub which clearly states on-call /overtime compensation ( not bonus) but also includes non taxable reimbursement money which has ytd column of ~95k total.

I am so nervous now. the company is huge and I never meant to lie about my salary at all. it is just I was careless during the phone call and did not even think I need to make the clear distinction with exact amount. Its just I though my total compensation was about 90k, correctly reporting my base salary, and i remember she asked me my total bonus and thinking my total was about 90k, I said its 12k. I am dead. anyone please help asap

what should I do? present 1, and pray they will not make a big fuss and present 2, which I am not sure how Hire_Rite will report to the company as my total compensation, they could see the bonus vs extra pay which could also kill the offer.

I am really dead. I went thru vigorous interviews and now it will be so hard on me to lose this offer over this

Last edited by blutao; 04-30-2017 at 09:34 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 02:46 PM

Anyone please suggest? Is this a big deal? should I consider the offer will be rescinded?

Old 05-01-2017, 03:29 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,671,818 times
hireright only checks employments and education, not your pay. Its illegal for them to do so from what i was told. but they only check references, not pay. Think i will be corrected, that they do check pay now? When i was check they never did do my pay.. so i have to pass on this answer..

Old 05-01-2017, 04:14 PM

Hi Hitps! . Thanks for your reply. They do. Please see below thread. This fellow's job offer rescinded due to 5k discrepency in his salary. Mine is a bit different. I correctly stated my base salary but the bonus amount is about 4k difference . During the interview, my total pay including bonus was just an estimate to me, but base salary was clearly stated. I am sure she noted the bonus amount and will double check with my w2. I fear this will end up like his. I am so nervious

//www.city-data.com/forum/job-s...s-perfect.html

Old 05-01-2017, 04:53 PM

723 posts, read 358,731 times
Most companies will not give out your salary unless you specifically allow it, does not matter what hire right wants

Old 05-01-2017, 04:56 PM

46,098 posts, read 41,151,966 times
You should be negotiating your new pay not your old.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:28 PM

339 posts, read 219,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutao View Post
Greetings Everyone. Hope all well! My first thread joining today!

I am going through Hire_Right background check . I remember company recruiter asking me my salary plus bonuses. I realized my base salary and overtime work is $4500 less than what I told the recruiter when posed but that I remember saying I made about ~90k. My last paycheck clearly states that it is on-call/overtime, but she asked about bonuses, now i remember clearly. I said my bonuses with base is ~90k. Not only it is not bonus, but on-call/overtime, the total compensation is $4500 less, but truthfully I was not inflating or anything. I just said its is about ~90k. Few days later once again she asked what my bonus was, I said 12k subtracting total of ~90k from my base salary in my head!. . that is what i was thinking at the time not knowing this could be big deal, but the recruiter told me i will present my w2 during check. i sense she is waiting for it and will double check all what I said during the process.

I could do two things: ( they will ask me this week possibly to prove via w2 or pay stub)

1. present w2 which does not differentiate bonus or on call, but total compensation of 85.5K ( which is 4.5k is shorter)
2. present last years last pay stub which clearly states on-call /overtime compensation ( not bonus) but also includes non taxable reimbursement money which has ytd column of ~95k total.

I am so nervous now. the company is huge and I never meant to lie about my salary at all. it is just I was careless during the phone call and did not even think I need to make the clear distinction with exact amount. Its just I though my total compensation was about 90k, correctly reporting my base salary, and i remember she asked me my total bonus and thinking my total was about 90k, I said its 12k. I am dead. anyone please help asap

what should I do? present 1, and pray they will not make a big fuss and present 2, which I am not sure how Hire_Rite will report to the company as my total compensation, they could see the bonus vs extra pay which could also kill the offer.

I am really dead. I went thru vigorous interviews and now it will be so hard on me to lose this offer over this
I just went through a HireRight background check 3 weeks ago. Although the form asks for your salary it is not a required field. I left it blank and I passed.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:37 PM

Milesfive,
I stupidly filled the field though I read from the company recruiter that I should leave it blank. I totally forgot later on and filled my pay for last two employers. I have my pay stub to prove my base salary but if they ask for w2, there is a difference of 4.5k between my total pay and what I told the company recruiter during the interview. I really estimated it but I know she will check that because she told me I will have to provide my w2 to HireRight.
I guess it all depends on the hiring company, not hireright whether they will want you prove salary or not. In your case, they did not, but I am sure they will ask me. I am pretty nervous as the recruiter was very detail oriented. I am sure you read thru the details of my concern

Old 05-01-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You should be negotiating your new pay not your old.
yeah, but she wanted to know my base salary as well as my bonus so that she will low blow! indeed she did, but now I am left with a bit issue of the discrepancy of my total compensation. I knew my base salary well, but bonus I estimated and that is the issue they can excuse

Old 05-02-2017, 09:50 AM

10,339 posts, read 16,298,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShades View Post
Most companies will not give out your salary unless you specifically allow it, does not matter what hire right wants
Exactly if companies just gave out salaries willy nilly I could call HR posing as an employer or creditor and ask what my coworkers' salaries are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search