Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 02:58 PM

853 posts, read 648,144 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Because I come from another country, my apologizes if you don't understand what I mean, simply ask me to clarify...

Besides my Bachelors and Associates Degree, I took 5 courses and I am taking a sixth course at this moment, the last one by the way. I took / I am taking all those courses out of university/college, some of them by my own and others within companies I had been working in. I mean, those I say I am taking by my own are attended, in third party academies/organizations in classrooms and at least a diploma of attendance is given so I have a diploma of every course I am taking.

Would you mention all those courses in the CV/Resume? In case of applying through ATS (Applicant tracking system) where should I put those courses? I guess certificates is another thing, I do not have any professional certificate such as Six Sigma to give an example. This is not estrictly for the US, american large companies are in every country, even in Spain, and sometimes is not easy to adapt what I have done in Spain to those US oriented questionnaires. Just as an example, I don't have a GPA, the qualifications in Spain range from 0 to 10 instead of 0 to 4 so I had to calculate it by my own. Even if I am applying for a job in Spain, I am required to give my GPA and veteran status and even if I have a visa to work in the US

The following are my courses:
- Autocad Basics, Advanced, 3D: 72 hours (3 courses but since I have done them in the same place in the same year, different months I count them as one). Made by my own.
- Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access: 60 hours. Made by my own.
- Occupational Prevention Risk (How would you translate this? is like safety and health in construction): 60 hours. Made within a company I had been working in.
- SmartPlant P&ID (to draw P&IDs, PFDs, Process Engineering software): 18 hours. Made within a company I had been working in.
- Introduction to Visual Basic: 30 hours. Made by my own.
- C/C++: 100 hours. Currently in progress. Made by my own.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

EDITED: Do you think are useful? marketable? Do they give you a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 07:59 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
If it is pertinent to the job you are applying for, they should be listed under either skills or education.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:47 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,237 times
the only time i see courses listed on a resume are sometimes recent college grads with no work experience that are trying to show they have relevant education for the work they are applying. If these were certifications, certainly list them. Otherwise, i don't think you need to list them on your resume and i also wouldn't list your self-calculated GPA btw. It's really only relevant for those with no experience. good luck

Old 05-05-2017, 11:32 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
thought you were working in the oil industry, what do those have to do with being in oil as a chem eng?

you tosses in programming, basic office and modeling skills, they don't tie together so how do they build on each other?

Old 05-05-2017, 12:03 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
If you got some type of certification or proof of completion, you can list them as on your resume, assuming they are relevant for the job. Only list things that are specific to a particular job you are applying for, and customize your resume as needed.

Do NOT list Microsoft Office though, that's a basic level competence expected for anyone working in an office these days.

You can google "listing professional certifications on resume" or something along those lines to see specific examples of ways to list them

Old 05-05-2017, 05:47 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Do NOT list Microsoft Office though, that's a basic level competence expected for anyone working in an office these days.
This might be bad advice, if a recruiter is using MS Office skills to filter candidates. I'd say leave it in and avoid being filtered out because they assume you don't know what you don't mention.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:14 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
This might be bad advice, if a recruiter is using MS Office skills to filter candidates. I'd say leave it in and avoid being filtered out because they assume you don't know what you don't mention.
unless jorge gave up on the oil industry, his skills so far are tied to that from his time in mexico, what does knowing MS office do for someone in oil that isn't a secretary? it can be taught as needed, the main thing is his skills as a chem eng <-- his "field" by degree

Old 05-07-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
unless jorge gave up on the oil industry, his skills so far are tied to that from his time in mexico, what does knowing MS office do for someone in oil that isn't a secretary? it can be taught as needed, the main thing is his skills as a chem eng <-- his "field" by degree
Not really gave up. My little experience in this field is as process engineer in an EPC project at office performing calculations, PFDs, P&IDs, specifications, ... This area is really hard today and I am open to Process Engineering roles in any kind of industry and also Project Engineering roles as I did in Mexico. What I am doing right now... keep on working in C/C++ course (but this is the last course I will do by my own), applying for jobs worldwide and enrolling in Masters Degree in case my job search fails. I am even open to a PhD, well, we'll se how the future will be presented. This time I don't want to run out of options.

By the way, I am not longer in Mexico, I am now in Madrid, where I can study this Masters Degree and a city plenty of embassies, being aware that any day I may be in Philippines, India, China or who knows...

Old 05-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
what does knowing MS office do for someone in oil that isn't a secretary? it can be taught as needed, the main thing is his skills as a chem eng <-- his "field" by degree
Because the HR screener might think he writes all his notes out in longhand and needs an admin or an assistant to type them up! That may sound ludicrous, but screeners are basically professional discriminators. Their job is to whittle a pile of candidates down to a small group of interview-worthy folks. Give them complete information, or they will assume that skills not included in your resume or application are not in your possession.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Because the HR screener might think he writes all his notes out in longhand and needs an admin or an assistant to type them up! That may sound ludicrous, but screeners are basically professional discriminators. Their job is to whittle a pile of candidates down to a small group of interview-worthy folks. Give them complete information, or they will assume that skills not included in your resume or application are not in your possession.
I have seen many entry level positions asking for Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook skills, literally as I write it. Sometimes I find those in the UK and other european countries but most commonly in the US. I hardly ever apply for positions in the US, but seems to be reasonable to put a course of Microsoft office if the requirements ask it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search