Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 05:26 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,877,453 times

Advertisements

There are a few posters on this board that continually insist on defining HR roles and influence to hiring choices that are so completely off. I have no idea what Mod cut they worked for but if HR had that much power and influence, it says more to the overall dysfunction of the company than it does to that department.

Hemlock, thanks again. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-13-2017 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language; off-topic comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 08:33 AM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
Quote:
they are only making sure that the law is followed and that the pay can be justified based on the duties being performed.
I'm not looking for an argument, just curious...
If you're the expert for the job in your department, writing the description, and doing the hiring -- why don't YOU know whether the salary being offered is justified based on the duties performed and what you're looking for? Just as you did the rest of it, why can't you set the parameters on the pay? (within whatever is budgeted -- which you should know since it's your department and your opening being filled)

Old 06-28-2017, 01:00 PM

334 posts, read 221,201 times
Many of you are saying that H/R is not the problem. Okay, so when I apply for a job, who looks over the resumes that are generated through the company online system? I always thought it was H/R who said "yay" or "nay" and then, they contact the "yay" candidates themselves. After that, they inform the hiring manager of who they think should be interviewed in person. Am I wrong? Yes, many of us do think H/R has *THAT* much power.

Can someone who is in H/R explain the process better? Any time I have a phone interview, it is ALWAYS with H/R first. So, I've thought they make the decision themselves on who should be phone interviewed.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:01 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,744,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
Many of you are saying that H/R is not the problem. Okay, so when I apply for a job, who looks over the resumes that are generated through the company online system? I always thought it was H/R who said "yay" or "nay" and then, they contact the "yay" candidates themselves. After that, they inform the hiring manager of who they think should be interviewed in person. Am I wrong? Yes, many of us do think H/R has *THAT* much power.

Can someone who is in H/R explain the process better? Any time I have a phone interview, it is ALWAYS with H/R first. So, I've thought they make the decision themselves on who should be phone interviewed.

I believe the HR person just schedules the interview based on the availability of the hiring mangers. The HR lady at my job played no role in the selection process for the position just set up the schedule for me to come in to meet all the managers.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:30 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
Quote:

It depends on the company.

I have seen it done both ways where HR, after going through all the resumes, lets the hiring managers know who are the best candidates and available to call for interviews and also where the hiring manager sees all resumes and gets to pick who they want.

I have been on several engineering interviews where it is obvious that HR is running the show and don't have a clue what they are doing. I even had one interview where I interviewed with HR and then had an in person with the engineering manager and the manager was looking for a completely different type of engineer that had NOTHING to do with anything I have ever done or was on my resume.

The recruiting and hiring process for many companies is completely broken today.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:

I can't speak for all but I can for some.

Hiring Managers tell me what they are needing. If already established position I'll pull the past job description and help wanted ad ran and ask them to review for any changes or updates.

I post and review resumes/cover letters. Any that are close match to what's needed I'll forward to the hiring manager for "yay or nay" answers.

Once we have a strong group I contact via email and to set up interview schedule which I manage with the hiring manager.

I often do a phone interview first, this isn't me evaluating the skill, more verifying the candidate knows what they are applying for, where we're located, understands the schedule, and ok with the salary range we're working with. It's usually 15-20 minutes, if the candidate is knowledgeable we move forward to in office interview.

Usually we have 4-5 strong candidates at this point and I coordinate interview schedules with the hiring managers. Some admin jobs we also have testing for and will manager that as well. Sometimes I sit in, other times not. When I do sit in the hiring manager takes the lead. Honestly, some HM's aren't that good at interviewing so good to see that and assist when necessary.

After an interview I like to note impressions as soon as possible. Sometimes I have to prompt HM's to make decisions to keep the process moving until we fill the spot.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I can't speak for all but I can for some.

Hiring Managers tell me what they are needing. If already established position I'll pull the past job description and help wanted ad ran and ask them to review for any changes or updates.

I post and review resumes/cover letters. Any that are close match to what's needed I'll forward to the hiring manager for "yay or nay" answers.

Once we have a strong group I contact via email and to set up interview schedule which I manage with the hiring manager.

I often do a phone interview first, this isn't me evaluating the skill, more verifying the candidate knows what they are applying for, where we're located, understands the schedule, and ok with the salary range we're working with. It's usually 15-20 minutes, if the candidate is knowledgeable we move forward to in office interview.

Usually we have 4-5 strong candidates at this point and I coordinate interview schedules with the hiring managers. Some admin jobs we also have testing for and will manager that as well. Sometimes I sit in, other times not. When I do sit in the hiring manager takes the lead. Honestly, some HM's aren't that good at interviewing so good to see that and assist when necessary.

After an interview I like to note impressions as soon as possible. Sometimes I have to prompt HM's to make decisions to keep the process moving until we fill the spot.
This is how we operate, I wonder if we work at the same place?

I also agree, some hiring managers, especially those who were promoted because they were good workers are not trained nor experienced at hiring and need some coaching throughout the process.

I find the constant unjust beratementof HR people to be frustrating.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-13-2017 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is how we operate, I wonder if we work at the same place?

I also agree, some hiring managers, especially those who were promoted because they were good workers are not trained nor experienced at hiring and need some coaching throughout the process.

I find the constant unjust beratement of HR people to be frustrating.

[snip]
Thanks Hemlock. We share that frustration.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-13-2017 at 10:19 PM..

Old 07-04-2017, 07:57 AM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
I'm sure there are many good HR people. But as in any profession the bad ones -- even if it's only perceived -- are the ones who reflect badly on others.

So the ones who don't call back, or make people wait at interview time, may indeed have a reason for that. But from the point of view of the applicant...the person still didn't call back when they said they would...still didn't DO what they said they would.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:14 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
I don't know what's going on out there. It seems just as bad now as it did during the deep recession of 2008-2011. Even temp agencies don't get back to candidates who apply online to their ads. You call them up and they say, "Please apply on our website and we will get back to you." It used to be that you'd call them up, make an appointment, meet with a recruiter, take some tests, and BOOM....they'd have a temp or temp to hire job in a day or two for you.
I remember those days. When I applied to a temp agency a couple of years ago, they told me I would need to call their rep once a week to keep my file active and if I did this enough, they might have something for me. Times surely have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search