Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 05:34 PM

901 posts, read 747,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletlee View Post
I did not have the job that I put on my resume- basically made up my experience at the company.

I'm worried that if I do go through with the background check, and I get denied, my reputation and integrity is ruined.
LOL
1. Lie on resume
2. Worry about integrity

Pick one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 06:52 PM

51 posts, read 83,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
LOL
1. Lie on resume
2. Worry about integrity

Pick one
She said integrity "RUINED." As in people caught her and are now judging her. Your integrity isn't ruined if your not caught. I've lied for almost every job and haven't gotten caught. My integrity is not ruined. I've watched coworkers and bosses lie to clients and customers at these same companies. Where is their integrity? I've heard of managers at other companies lie to clients to cheat them out of money. The same people who are judging integrity. Coworkers throw others under the bus or blame them to get ahead. Please. The people with the most integrity often finish last. Just like the OP did in this situation.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigley17 View Post
She said integrity "RUINED." As in people caught her and are now judging her. Your integrity isn't ruined if your not caught. I've lied for almost every job and haven't gotten caught. My integrity is not ruined. I've watched coworkers and bosses lie to clients and customers at these same companies. Where is their integrity? I've heard of managers at other companies lie to clients to cheat them out of money. The same people who are judging integrity. Coworkers throw others under the bus or blame them to get ahead. Please. The people with the most integrity often finish last. Just like the OP did in this situation.
A thief who doesn't get caught is still a thief.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
A thief who doesn't get caught is still a thief.
Yes, but they don't have a criminal record. Not in the eyes of the law. once again, the OP cared about getting caught and her integrity in the eyes of others, not about the lie she already committed and couldn't be changed. This has been made clear a few times.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, but they don't have a criminal record. Not in the eyes of the law.
Strong logic......strong definition of integrity........strong everything

Old 05-22-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Strong logic......strong definition of integrity........strong everything
I didn't define integrity. I defined "integrity ruined."

Old 05-22-2017, 08:47 PM

18 posts, read 81,992 times
Quote:
I cant believe you didn't go through with the background check. You could have passed it. The headhunter and employer already invested their time in interviewing you, and I'm sure they still weren't happy you turned it down.
My recruiter told me that the employer was disappointed and shocked when she found out I declined the offer. I'd rather her be disappointed that I declined her offer than finding out I lied on my resume. The whole ordeal was a real eye opener, and I wish I never had lied. I hope my future employer will look past my lack of a degree, and will hire me because of my hard work ethic.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:19 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times
My advice is to decline and look elsewhere. As a former manager I can tell you that if you go through with this it will eventually come to light and however many months or years you may have gotten away with it will be down the drain.

I worked with someone who had over 25 years with the company. He was going to be sent out of country for a two week assignment doing repair work. When he went to apply for a passport, guess what they found? That he had a previous felony conviction that was never mentioned before,even though it was a question on the application. The company brought out his old application and confronted him with the newly discovered omission and he was gone just like that.

I said all that just to remind you that any lies or discrepancies will eventually come to light,and you will be held accountable. Your gut is telling you to do the right thing. I suggest you follow it.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:45 PM

18 posts, read 81,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
My advice is to decline and look elsewhere. As a former manager I can tell you that if you go through with this it will eventually come to light and however many months or years you may have gotten away with it will be down the drain.

I worked with someone who had over 25 years with the company. He was going to be sent out of country for a two week assignment doing repair work. When he went to apply for a passport, guess what they found? That he had a previous felony conviction that was never mentioned before,even though it was a question on the application. The company brought out his old application and confronted him with the newly discovered omission and he was gone just like that.

I said all that just to remind you that any lies or discrepancies will eventually come to light,and you will be held accountable. Your gut is telling you to do the right thing. I suggest you follow it.
I appreciate the feedback. As a former manager, would you hire someone who has an incomplete resume with 3-4 years of work experience? How can someone highlight their experiences with the lack of a degree?

Old 05-23-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post

And 99% of companies won't even look at the rest of your resume if you have a felony conviction, so what do you say to them? 25 years is better than no years. I would say he definately made the right decision by lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search