Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Of all the interviews I've been to, I've never shown up with anything other than a few copies of my resume, references (not letters, just contact info), and my notepad/pen. And in the last 10 years, I didn't give a single copy of my resume out as most will already have one. Now, if they need you to bring things out of the ordinary, they will usually tell you. Or, you can just give them a call and ask.

For the most part, certifications and diploma's are not necessary. If they really need to verify that stuff, they can call the source - that's probably better too as you can pretty much forge any document today. And again, if in doubt - ask. When you call them to confirm the appointment - just say "Is there any specific paperwork you would like me to bring?"

Do suit up - I've had one occasion where I was told not to dress up. But its pretty much a norm that a job candidate shows up in a suit. So even if you do look like a slick lawyer in a crowd of hippies... it won't count against you. Keep in mind - your appearance alone will never make the deal... but it can certainly break the deal.
That is true and the chances are that he will not be asked for that stuff BUT to my way of thinking, the old Boy Scout thing comes to mind: BE PREPARED. You can never bring too much- just too little. Bring it all and only give what is asked for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 08:23 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That is true and the chances are that he will not be asked for that stuff BUT to my way of thinking, the old Boy Scout thing comes to mind: BE PREPARED. You can never bring too much- just too little. Bring it all and only give what is asked for.
makes sense to me. never hurts to have it.....

Old 03-10-2008, 08:37 AM

455 posts, read 1,499,059 times
Legitimate volunteer work is a definite plus, not something that will get you the job all by itself (unless it's an interview for a volunteer position), but it's a nice booster.

At my most recent interview, the hiring manager and potential supervisor were both very interested in my volunteer experiences as well as extra-curricular activities I participate in.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:48 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
And don't forget to learn something about the company you are interviewing with. I can't tell you how many times I have been asked, "What do you know about our company". Knowing simple things like how long they have been in business, what their product is, or how much their stock is selling for are helpful. It shows interest and that you did your homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search