Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 01:08 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times

Advertisements

The scenario: If you were fired from a job many years ago that you worked at for about 1 year.

Do you still leave the # to the Director's office, so that future employers can call and confirm that work was completed there? Or do you just leave it off and never discuss?

The person was fired because she didn't get along with the abusive supervisor. It was labeled "personality conflict".

Your thoughts?

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-09-2008 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 06:54 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Put down all details with an explanation, take with you your job evaluations showing that you did good work and give them the name and number of an employee at the old job who will vouch for you.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:53 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
I wouldn't list that job, I would come up with something else for that time period in your life. I can tell you from experience that they will skip over you once they find out you were fired. I had something similar happen to me.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:49 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,022,888 times
I would do the same,dont list that job on your application,if they ask what you did in that period of unemployment tell them you were concentrating on school or taking care of your sick family member or something like that.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:50 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,022,888 times
or if you have kids let them know you were a stay at home mom during that time.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:21 AM

116 posts, read 436,776 times
I would call the employer you were fired from and see what they say about you. If they say you were fired or are ineligible for rehire, I would call the HR Director and ask them nicely to say that you quit or were laid off in a corporate reorganization and not to give out any more information. If that does not work hire an attorney for a few hours to write a letter to the employer and say that you will sue if any negative information is given. That will work. Employers in most companies will need to know where you have worked for the last 10 years and will follow up in all jobs during that period.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:31 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,507 times
Be careful. As someone who did a lot of hiring in my day, I always looked for those gaps between jobs and asked about them. I would note the answer and then later in the interview, ask another question that would help verify the story about why the gap was there. For example, if the person said he or she went back to school for six months, I'd ask later in the interview about the courses that were taken or something else.

I am very suspicious of gaps and equally concerned about employee honesty. I'd rather have the person list the job, but in the interview tell me he was fired, and why. My next question would be "... and what did you learn from that experience", hoping to see that it made him or her a better employee.

If you always tell the truth, you don't need a great memory. But once you start lying, or misleading someone, the truth always comes out eventually. If you want your next employer to trust you, I advise starting with the truth.

This might not be the answer you hoped for ... but it's the truth. Good luck.

Charley

Old 03-16-2008, 07:29 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
I would not leave that out...they would find out anyway. All they really do is talk to HR to see if she indeed worked there. Now I don't know what her status was with HR when she was "fired"...did she have an exit interview, and like the other poster said, does she know if HR would say that she is eligible for rehire? All I would say in the interview is that I left because the job was not in line with my career and personal goals...that is as neutral as it can get. Don't bash the old employer, don't provide any more information than that. An application is a formal document that one certifies to the truth of...you don't want to lie in that one. That is grounds for termination if they find out later. A resume is one thing...the application is part of your permanent employee file.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:34 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,874 times
Sounds like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.
Being fired unfairly is a terrible thing because it impacts you down the road.
It's darn near impossible to get another manager to take your side of things once you've left, too.

You can take your chances and list the job and put the HR as a contact down.
Technically, they don't want to say anything bad about you to keep you from securing another job. Mostly just verify dates.

If what you put on an application isn't checked out and 2 years later, someone decides to check you out and finds out you were fired from XYZ, then that is odd. Because all of that should have been done when you were hired, and why would someone be opening up things later on?

I once put down on an application that I was let go due to politics, and that 3 others were let go at the same time. It was a 22 year old girl who got to replace us with her friends, and she was quite open about those were her plans. Plus, she covered for a supervisor who was never at work. I went to Employee Assistance, who assured me they couldn't do a thing about it, but I told them they should be documenting these things because someone just can't get away with playing sandbox in the business world like that.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:42 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,874 times
Default My answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Be careful. As someone who did a lot of hiring in my day, I always looked for those gaps between jobs and asked about them. I would note the answer and then later in the interview, ask another question that would help verify the story about why the gap was there. For example, if the person said he or she went back to school for six months, I'd ask later in the interview about the courses that were taken or something else.

I am very suspicious of gaps and equally concerned about employee honesty. I'd rather have the person list the job, but in the interview tell me he was fired, and why. My next question would be "... and what did you learn from that experience", hoping to see that it made him or her a better employee.

If you always tell the truth, you don't need a great memory. But once you start lying, or misleading someone, the truth always comes out eventually. If you want your next employer to trust you, I advise starting with the truth.

This might not be the answer you hoped for ... but it's the truth. Good luck.

Charley

IF someone had asked me that question, "What did you learn from that experience?" ...I would have answered, "When I knew this person had it out for me, or was threatened by my skills, or what ever reason they were launching...I would quit before I got fired, because that is much easier to explain and doesn't have the stigma. If you stay and let that person fire you, they can ruin you for life, and no matter how good of an employee you were, it is hard to undo that."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search