Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2017, 12:15 PM

185 posts, read 134,042 times

Advertisements

I was at my first post college job for a 1 year. It was a government job and I offered the job at a different office for which I interviewed. It was a horrible place and someone was brought in to speak to employees as turnover was high and there were many complaints that included discrimination and bullying. I was one of the targeted employees and thankfully got another government job and left.

I was at that 2nd job nearly 4 years. I left because I wanted to relocate.

3rd job (also government) was post relocation and I was there a 1.5 years. I was told on my first day by my supervisor that the department manager had misgivings about me and I had to prove myself as this person can make or break your career. I made the mistake of not continuing the job search after being told this as the manager dislike set the stage for a horrible work environment. There was a high turnover rate at this place so there was an overall problem but nothing was ever done about it. I ended up quitting as things kept getting worse and I had long been experiencing symptoms of stress and anxiety.

I think some employers believe I am a flight risk and I am not sure how overcome that. When asked in interviews, I try to stress that I am looking for stability and just want to be in a place where I can grow, be happy, and sucessful. My question is there anything else I should or can say? I know not to badmouth those 2 places, but I feel that leaves room for a lot of assumptions when my length of employment is factored in.

Last edited by miasth; 06-05-2017 at 12:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 03:10 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
If you don't demonstrate stability, employers won't believe you're looking for it. Find a job/employer you love. BE PICKY. If you can't envision yourself there for the long haul, don't take the position.

There are a few exceptions to this, one of them is advancement/learning opportunity. You should look at every role as an opportunity to either advance (move up in level or scope of responsibility) or learn a new aspect of the business that will increase your value for advancement.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:25 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,834,783 times
Anyone who has been in the workforce for 10+ years will easily see that you have a generally stable job history. You worked at a place for 4+ years. The others were 1-2 years only because of other circumstance, poor fit, etc.

Personally I'd have no misgivings about your work history. I think the "looking for a new opportunity" BS people are told to say when asked why they left X, Y or Z job is easily seen through and suspect. Frankly I tell people x job wasn't a good fit for me. I think a lot more professional working adults will understand that since we've ALL been there. In fact that is what I say during a panel interview, that we've all been in the workforce (looking at a bunch of gray haired people at the table) for some time and I think we've all had jobs that weren't a good fit for us at one time or another in our careers, xyz position was just such a position for me.

It's more plausible than "I was looking for a new opportunity."

Old 06-06-2017, 03:31 PM

673 posts, read 2,716,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasth View Post
I try to stress that I am looking for stability and just want to be in a place where I can grow, be happy, and sucessful.

There's your problem. You are focused on yourself. It takes a lot to offer jobs. An employer wants to know that you will benefit the business. When you leave after a short time, you cost the business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasth View Post
My question is there anything else I should or can say?

I have lost track of the number of times candidates have acted earnestly only to flake out shortly after hire. Talk means nothing.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:35 PM

228 posts, read 201,283 times
These days, spending 2-4 years at a particular place is becoming more common. Especially when you're younger and seeking out the best fit and working your way up the corporate ladder. It's how most of us have increased our salaries significantly. Let's face it, the typical 1-3% COL increases don't cut it when you're starting from the bottom and trying to make a living.

It's when you're consistently jumping around every few months, or sticking around less than a year where it'd probably draw attention.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:36 PM

228 posts, read 201,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
There's your problem. You are focused on yourself. It takes a lot to offer jobs. An employer wants to know that you will benefit the business. When you leave after a short time, you cost the business.

I have lost track of the number of times candidates have acted earnestly only to flake out shortly after hire. Talk means nothing.
If you run a good operation, these are things that you shouldn't have to worry about. People don't leave good situations if they can help it. If you're consistently losing talent, then it's probably time to do a post mortem on the situation. They may feel like they don't have adequate resources to do their iob, or poor managers are chasing them away.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:33 AM

185 posts, read 134,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post

One interviewer stated I had a lot of jobs then proceeded to ask about my goals. That was why I responded about looking for stability. I had heard similar comments before which is why I am trying to determine how best to address what some see as a problem.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:37 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
3 jobs in 6-7 years out of college isn't unusual or unreasonable. I would expect at least two, and wouldn't worry about as many as 4.

At this point you should be looking for some stability. You will most likely benefit most if you stay at your next position for 5+ years and obtain a promotion or two while you are there.

Don't take people's criticisms so seriously. All sorts of people say stupid things, and some hiring managers like to present themselves as authorities on all things. In reality, they are just getting through life in the same way as you and I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search