Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 01:36 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,282 times

Advertisements

I don't want to delete it, but as I try to transition into a management role, I'm finding a lot of recruiters check my LinkedIn profile and notice my job titles and descriptions don't match my resume that much (I did learn during my HR class in grad school that 30+% of employers use Social Media such as LinkedIn to screen job candidates in this way).

My profile is already set to private, though I noticed one of my colleagues was able to see my profile before even connecting with me. It is my understanding that recruiters would be able to see my profile even if hiding it worked correctly, since that's a premium feature they pay for (the hidden profile used to work, not sure what happened).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 02:43 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,531,204 times
Under LinkedIn's privacy settings, there is a Job Seeking option. You can use this to change the option of letting recruiters see your profile or not. Do you have that setting set to YES or NO?

I'm curious about the premium feature you mention...will have to look into that.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:06 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Under LinkedIn's privacy settings, there is a Job Seeking option. You can use this to change the option of letting recruiters see your profile or not. Do you have that setting set to YES or NO?

I'm curious about the premium feature you mention...will have to look into that.
I know what setting you are talking about but it's not what you think. That's just to signal to recruiters that you are looking. It doesn't hide your profile from them. It's already set to no.

For now what I've done is just made all my positions generic IT management positions. This way when I apply for service delivery manager and use that as my title they don't come to LI and see I'm listed as Engineering Manager or whatever with a different set of duties.

From researching online about this, your LI should NOT match your resume for this reason; customizing resumes to jobs as we are all taught will backfire if your linked in is too specific and they go look there and see your titles and duties don't match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search