Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 02:17 PM

796 posts, read 930,606 times

Advertisements

Why not make them match word for word to avoid any discrepancy issues??? Very simple fix IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 01:31 PM

334 posts, read 221,417 times
I HATE Linked In and have deleted all of my jobs, but kept my profile so I can search for jobs on there. I cannot believe that people put all of their information on a site like that and add former co-workers, bosses, etc. to their contacts. I too tailor my resume to match job ads, so I do not want a potential employer going to Linked In to see my profile. I've made myself invisible on there recently as well.

They are nothing by a data mining site. In fact, the other day I did a Google search on myself and found my resume on one of those "background check" type of sites. I demanded they remove my entry. Could NOT believe it! It had to come from Linked In.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:52 AM

3,689 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
I HATE Linked In and have deleted all of my jobs, but kept my profile so I can search for jobs on there. I cannot believe that people put all of their information on a site like that and add former co-workers, bosses, etc. to their contacts. I too tailor my resume to match job ads, so I do not want a potential employer going to Linked In to see my profile.
I have a very generic LI page.

I do not list my specific Uni, or past employers, or job titles.

I don't want myself "floating around in cyberspace" and yes, it's too easy to have an LI profile not match your resume when you're applying for related jobs - that are still different types of jobs, even in the same industry.

LI is good for finding out the names of managers at companies you're interested in and getting more information about them.

Quote:
I've made myself invisible on there recently as well.
How do you do this?

I might do this.

TIA.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:55 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,691 times
So how did you make yourself invisible on there?? I don't see a setting for that...

Old 07-16-2017, 08:01 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Privacy Settings - Make public profile visible to no one.

Also turn off let recruiters know you are open to opportunities in privacy settings.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:42 AM

24 posts, read 25,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensational View Post
Like you said, Tac-Sea, LinkedIn doesn't match my resume word for word, nor do I want it to (frankly, there are jobs I've worked that I don't want more successful friends/former classmates to know I've worked, but I was at those jobs too long for them to not be on my resume and some are also where my references come from).
You have issues...

Why would you guys hide your tasks/projects/responsibilities/achievements on LinkedIn from your colleagues or potential employers? My only thought is if you state on LinkedIn that you have experience with or implemented ABC, but in reality you only overheard that someone from your department had worked with ABC. Otherwise, my LinkedIn matches my resume and vice-versa. I do, however, tailor my resume from time to time, but the lack of those extra things on LinkedIn doesn't make much difference. Recruiter/employer will always think that you forgot to update your LinkedIn and it won't be a huge deal.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Privacy Settings - Make public profile visible to no one.

Also turn off let recruiters know you are open to opportunities in privacy settings.
This is not changing your LinkedIn Profile visibility to other LinkedIn Members, only to search engines and people who are not logged into LinkedIn. It even says that right in the setting for that...

I think the best strategy is to not list duties or titles, and keep the companies you've worked for confidential.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
Why not make them match word for word to avoid any discrepancy issues??? Very simple fix IMO.
So one applies to 1 job, then updates their LI to match that same resume for a week to see if they get an interview?

Then if they don't they keep repeating this? Not realistic when modern job searches essentially require you to customize each resume for each job you are applying to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search