Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 12:59 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,837,422 times

Advertisements

In the past few months, I've started to customize my resume for each job I applied to. What a noticeable difference in response rate. Heck, when I started doing it a few months ago I did it very poorly and still got a noticeable increase in responses. Now I'm really focusing time on each application and editing out anything not relevant to the position, using their key words, etc. the response rate is even higher.

I mean I would send out a hundred resumes before and maybe get an interview or two. Now I send out 20 or so and I get 2-3 interviews.

Now if I could only turn those interviews into offers. I've had a few, but they were terrible places. Plus much harder to compete at my salary level (155K+) and find a desirable place to work.

Of course it's still a numbers game, but a noticeable difference indeed. I'm also wondering if using a site other than Indeed.com will provide an edge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 01:49 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Yeah it makes a huge difference. I'm amazed you made it to such a large salary having not tailored previous resumes to postings, but perhaps at that level it's not so much about a resume or filling out an application etc...

Old 06-06-2017, 02:15 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,837,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Yeah it makes a huge difference. I'm amazed you made it to such a large salary having not tailored previous resumes to postings, but perhaps at that level it's not so much about a resume or filling out an application etc...
155K a year is due to being an Engineer....For that I never had to customize my resume because each job I applied for had almost the exact same technical requirements. Suffice it to say, it was much easier to get a job as an Engineer while you were already an Engineer, than it is to go from Chief Engineer to Senior Management.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:31 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
In the past few months, I've started to customize my resume for each job I applied to. What a noticeable difference in response rate. Heck, when I started doing it a few months ago I did it very poorly and still got a noticeable increase in responses. Now I'm really focusing time on each application and editing out anything not relevant to the position, using their key words, etc. the response rate is even higher.

I mean I would send out a hundred resumes before and maybe get an interview or two. Now I send out 20 or so and I get 2-3 interviews.

Now if I could only turn those interviews into offers. I've had a few, but they were terrible places. Plus much harder to compete at my salary level (155K+) and find a desirable place to work.

Of course it's still a numbers game, but a noticeable difference indeed. I'm also wondering if using a site other than Indeed.com will provide an edge?
^^ Totally agree. I've noticed the same. Very important to use their keywords and edit to the role. In addition, are you submitting a cover letter or not?
Keep up the good work. Very encouraging post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search