Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 08:04 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance...

I'm applying for a job with a major employer that's hard to get into.
To apply they want your supe's name, phone number, your salary, whether you were full or part time AND how many hours a week you worked.

And they want the DAY, month, year you were hired and left.

Obviously this is harder and harder to get accurate the further back you go.

Do most people know the DAY of the date they were hired for a job THIRTY years ago?
Some application sites say if you don't know the DAY, just put the first of the month. but this one doesn't say that. That's what I'm going g to do anyway because I have no idea what DAY I was hired a a job that long ago.

Which of course leads me to should you even go back that far.

My last job I had for 21 years.....but if that's the only job I put then I've only got that one job on the resume. Before that I had two good relevant jobs that had great titles and responsibilities.

But my supervisor for each of those jobs isn't even there anymore.
One could be de ad for all I know and the other has moved to a competitor. So do I put the contact info for where I know he is NOW?

And also do you put the address location of the business when you were there. Or its current address?

Part of me -- in this case -- really just wants to leave these jobs off....especially because this place is asking for all this information.

If they want to know where I worked 30 years ago in addition to the one job I've had for the last 21 years then they can ask later. ......when they also ask me what I had for lunch on a given day 20 years ago.

Last edited by selhars; 06-06-2017 at 08:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 08:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Ten years, unless there is something very specific that would be very relevant to the position, or the position you are in now spans longer than that.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:33 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Thanks in advance...

I'm applying for a job with a major employer that's hard to get into.
To apply they want your supe's name, phone number, your salary, whether you were full or part time AND how many hours a week you worked.

And they want the DAY, month, year you were hired and left.

Obviously this is harder and harder to get accurate the further back you go.

Do most people know the DAY of the date they were hired for a job THIRTY years ago?
No, and nobody but the craziest, most pedantic hiring manager cares either. That field exists as it does because some programmer back in the day had a requirement to put in a date field and the format stuck. Put down the first and move on.

Quote:
Some application sites say if you don't know the DAY, just put the first of the month. but this one doesn't say that. That's what I'm going g to do anyway because I have no idea what DAY I was hired a a job that long ago.
Yes. Do that.

Quote:
Which of course leads me to should you even go back that far.

My last job I had for 21 years.....but if that's the only job I put then I've only got that one job on the resume. Before that I do had two good jobs that had great titles and responsibilities.
Put them down, but don't put too much emphasis on them or count on them to help you much. When I review resumes I note jobs from that long ago, see if the applicant has progressive experience, and move on.

Quote:
But my supervisor for each of those jobs isn't even there anymore.
One could be de ad for all I know and the other has moved to a competitor. So do I put the contact info for where I know he is NOW?
No. Put down the original contact info. If you still keep in touch with the supe, put him down as a professional reference. Nobody is going to contact anybody from the early 90s.

Quote:
And also do you put the address location of the business when you were there. Or its current address?
Probably current? I don't think it matters.

Quote:
Part of me -- in this case -- really just wants to leave these jobs off....especially because this place is asking for all this information.

If they want to know where I worked 30 years ago in addition to the one job I've had for the last 21 years then they can ask later. ......when they also ask me what I had for lunch on a given day 20 years ago.
That is a reasonable response. You could leave them off and nobody would be too concerned.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Guess. If it was 30 years ago, they are not likely to verify it down to the day, and you probably remember the month. In some cases, like mine, the job I started 34 years before (and stayed 17 years) was totally related to the job I was applying for, and combined with the work I did in the next 16 years I got the job. Regardless of how picky or silly it seems, you are looking for a job and they have one available, so just do the best you can to do what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search