Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 12:32 PM

403 posts, read 363,500 times

Advertisements

Hey all.. so my friend and I were talking about interview questions that stumps us and one of them is "Why do you want to work here/why are you looking to leave your current company". What have you guys said in the past that was a answer? What do you suggest?

Answers like "Looking for a new challenge.." is just so boring and I don't think that impress the interviewers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 12:44 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,397,471 times
How about... the truth?

I'm a good interviewer- usually land the roles that I get in to interview for. That question usually doesn't come up because I usually bring it up in conversation before it gets to that point. At my last role, I said "I've been looking for an opening in a large multinational corporation with a US headquarters because that is where the work is the most interesting in my field, so this job is perfect for me, especially because you guys do XYZ and that really excites me"

Leave all the drama at home when they ask "why are you leaving". Your answer should always be roughly the same. Even if you're leaving because your boss punches you in the face on your way to the car every Tuesday, your answer would still be "I'm ready for more responsibility and I'm really looking to take my career to the next level".

Old 06-08-2017, 01:05 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Why do you want to work for XYZ?

"I did some research, and your firm is performing better than 60% of your competitors. I feel my worth is more inline with your needs and I believe we can accomplish great things as a team."

Why are you considering leaving ABC?

"I love my work, but when I saw this position I thought it was the perfect fit for me, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity."

Old 06-08-2017, 01:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
This is probably the question that presents your best opportunity to get the job. As a hiring manager, I want to hire someone that wants to work here. If I get the impression that they are looking for a job, rather than my job, they will have to be a lot better qualified than the others to get selected. I have in the past and very recently selected people who showed enthusiasm for working here but were less qualified than some others who gave the impression that we were bothering them by asking questions, and were just anxious to get it over with and leave. Demonstrate that you have done research into the company and what you found makes you want to work there. Give specific examples, such as data from their annual report, number of employees. Check out their Facebook and LinkedIn pages, and mention that you have been following them and give examples of things you saw there that showed you would be a good fit. Some of this depends on the company, which is the reason for the research. Maybe they are they are introducing a new product, reorganizing and creating a new division, or doing a big expansion and you want to be a part of their future success.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:21 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
I told them the truth. Why I wanted to work there, specifically that job and that company. One of the simplest questions to answer.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:33 PM

403 posts, read 363,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
How about... the truth?

I'm a good interviewer- usually land the roles that I get in to interview for. That question usually doesn't come up because I usually bring it up in conversation before it gets to that point. At my last role, I said "I've been looking for an opening in a large multinational corporation with a US headquarters because that is where the work is the most interesting in my field, so this job is perfect for me, especially because you guys do XYZ and that really excites me"

Leave all the drama at home when they ask "why are you leaving". Your answer should always be roughly the same. Even if you're leaving because your boss punches you in the face on your way to the car every Tuesday, your answer would still be "I'm ready for more responsibility and I'm really looking to take my career to the next level".
Maybe I should get some coaching lessons from you I have an interview tomorrow with an amazing start up that I really really want to work for, so kind of stressing myself out

Old 06-08-2017, 01:34 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
I find this quite simple as well. It's usually, your company is growing and I'd like to contribute to that growth or I like your company for doing XYZ very well or I would love the opportunity to learn XYZ.

The question I always hate is what negative thing would your manager say you do? That's the worst by far.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
The question I always hate is what negative thing would your manager say you do?
"I get so wrapped up in wanting to make sure my script is perfect, that it sometimes takes me longer to accomplish the task than it would if I had done it manually. However, I still have that script, so the next time I'm assigned that task, it will take no time at all."

*big smile*

Old 06-08-2017, 01:39 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
I like the brand and what it represents. Company X has a great reputation, and I want to be part of that.

I like this company and the people I've met so far, and I think I would be a good fit and solid contributor to this company's continued success.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:45 PM

I had an interview with an old boss of mine that already knew my skills, but wanted to see how updated they were since we hadn't worked together in about five years. We went over all the requirements for the job, and then after the interview he said he'd get back to me.

Later he emailed me and asked if I wanted to go to dinner since I was in town, and I met up with him and a couple other former coworkers. While we were at dinner, one of the coworkers who now worked with the former boss, made a comment about my attire (I'm a jeans-and-boots kind of girl), and said jokingly, something along the lines of, "You'll have to dress up a little more than you used to," and I told him I still wear the same thing and it works for me. He said, "Well how do you know that's going to work for Dan (the boss)?" And I said, "Because I'm that f****** good."

Dan hired me on the spot, saying, "I'd forgotten how true that is."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search