Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 08:14 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,605 times

Advertisements

I hope OP got the job. Even if you did not get it, let us know. Don't bottle up your stress or sadness. Let it out, you will feel better in your chest.

If you got the job, congrat. If you are too busy, have no time to post on here, that's okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 11:17 PM

13 posts, read 9,587 times
Went kinda strange...the WO!man who would be my manager seemed super excited about me..telling me what my schedule would nbe, discussing job duties, salary and Benny's...but the guy, who was less closely associated to the position seemed like he was totally bored and checked out although he did discuss commute w me briefly. Prob didn't get the job was an ego boost to get an interview at the institution but I was very surprised how casual and haphazard the environment was on premises. I almost feel like I should have dressed more girl next door business casual I stead of a full suit...guy seemed like the type who likes the cute girl next door type being totally honest I would have totally changed up my wardrobe choice had I known an old school guy with a preference for the cute/professional chick would've been there...that's just my gut instinct BC I think she really liked me...

Old 07-06-2017, 03:31 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
It sounds strange. Keep applying and wait and see what happens.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:17 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
It sounds strange. Keep applying and wait and see what happens.
There is nothing strange about the interview team. They asked a few questions, had different reactions. Happens all the time.

The one thing I find off-putting is the OP trying to judge her competitiveness based upon her dress and sexual attractiveness. As I male interviewer, if I see evidence that a woman is trying to influence me by using attractiveness, I am not hiring that candidare.

As for the prestige of an organization, and your subsequent observation that the premises were casual and haphazard, I think that you are making a common mistake. The prestige of an organization doesn't mean that it pays better, that it is necessarily better kept, or that all employees are above average. Any organization needs somebody to clean the floors, take out the trash, pay the bills, etc. while NYU does have some amazing faculty, they also have average faculty, novice teaching assistants great managers, terrible managers, etc.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:00 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
There is nothing strange about the interview team. They asked a few questions, had different reactions. Happens all the time.

The one thing I find off-putting is the OP trying to judge her competitiveness based upon her dress and sexual attractiveness. As I male interviewer, if I see evidence that a woman is trying to influence me by using attractiveness, I am not hiring that candidare.

As for the prestige of an organization, and your subsequent observation that the premises were casual and haphazard, I think that you are making a common mistake. The prestige of an organization doesn't mean that it pays better, that it is necessarily better kept, or that all employees are above average. Any organization needs somebody to clean the floors, take out the trash, pay the bills, etc. while NYU does have some amazing faculty, they also have average faculty, novice teaching assistants great managers, terrible managers, etc.
Yep. I read the post shaking my head. Kept mentioning dress and how the interviewer would have liked her better in certain cute outfits rather than "because I'm the best candidate". I've been on interview panels and some women do indeed try to sell their looks rather than their skills (not saying this is entirely you OP) and we never selected these women. They were the ones coming in with boobs hanging out and skirts so tight you could see what was or wasn't going on underneath.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:37 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcacc View Post
Went kinda strange...the WO!man who would be my manager seemed super excited about me..telling me what my schedule would nbe, discussing job duties, salary and Benny's...but the guy, who was less closely associated to the position seemed like he was totally bored and checked out although he did discuss commute w me briefly. Prob didn't get the job was an ego boost to get an interview at the institution but I was very surprised how casual and haphazard the environment was on premises. I almost feel like I should have dressed more girl next door business casual I stead of a full suit...guy seemed like the type who likes the cute girl next door type being totally honest I would have totally changed up my wardrobe choice had I known an old school guy with a preference for the cute/professional chick would've been there...that's just my gut instinct BC I think she really liked me...
i'm curious on your comment on supposing what the guy would have liked and why it matters? You weren't there for a date, correct?

Old 07-10-2017, 04:53 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
I am sorry but there are employers who hire people based on how attractive they are. A lot of people get hired for reasons other than being qualified. Maybe she got a vibe. I do not know. I was not there.

One of the managers at my place of employment wants to hire a girl because of her energy. She does not have any experience. What does that mean? I think she wants to hire her because she was the only one who came in who looks like her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search