Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 10:41 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I guess the OP has never had a real job before. Assuming she's active on the internet, there are likely many parties who have way more personal info on her than a SSN. The naivety is astounding.
Absolutely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 02:03 PM

334 posts, read 221,450 times
It amazes me as to how quickly people give out their personal information these days are putting down the OP for not wanting to do that! I refuse to put my social security number on online applications and have rarely been asked to do so. If they do ask for it, I put 000-00-last four digits.

The people that are condemning someone for not wanting to do this are the same ones who most likely list every detail of their life on Linked In for everyone to see. SMFH.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:33 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post

The people that are condemning someone for not wanting to do this are the same ones who most likely list every detail of their life on Linked In for everyone to see. SMFH.
We are also the ones with jobs.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:16 PM

602 posts, read 505,017 times
Are some of you pro-give-out-your-number-in-any-case people that way just for the sake of not having to be bothered with a prospective employer contacting you another time to ask for the additional information (including your SSN) when they're ready to use it? I'd much rather leave it off the initial application and take another five minutes to give it out when they're ready than to risk that the number gets in the wrong hands behind the scenes.

And no, I don't think that employers should ask for your SSN on an initial application just as a "give it out or you need not apply" policy anymore than an employer asking irrelevant personal questions that could be used to illegally discriminate against you under the same philosophy.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:22 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
Are some of you pro-give-out-your-number-in-any-case people that way just for the sake of not having to be bothered with a prospective employer contacting you another time to ask for the additional information (including your SSN) when they're ready to use it? I'd much rather leave it off the initial application and take another five minutes to give it out when they're ready than to risk that the number gets in the wrong hands behind the scenes.

And no, I don't think that employers should ask for your SSN on an initial application just as a "give it out or you need not apply" policy anymore than an employer asking irrelevant personal questions that could be used to illegally discriminate against you under the same philosophy.
The OP already went for the interview. At this point she's probably at the reference/background check phase and they need it to proceed with the process.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:24 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Since you started (not a scam request) the relationship I would give them the SS number. They probably want it to run a credit check of maybe criminal background check. It could also be related to the job you are being interviewed for.

Since you have had the interview did you ask why they needed the number?

The SS number is needed so that the company can run the required I9 verification. But best I can recall that is not done until you accept the job.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The OP already went for the interview. At this point she's probably at the reference/background check phase and they need it to proceed with the process.
Sorry I overlooked that (I thought it was someone going in pre-interview to fill out an application, but what I said still applies for anyone in that situation reading my comments in the future).

Old 06-29-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
The SS number is needed so that the company can run the required I9 verification. But best I can recall that is not done until you accept the job.
That is correct (about the SSN if the company uses E-Verify as well as you shouldn't have to fill out I-9 until you actually begin working).

Old 06-30-2017, 06:28 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post

I think she didn't like what she heard on here and now is no longer a member, already!

Old 07-07-2017, 02:16 PM

779 posts, read 505,860 times
I do contract work and am frequently asked for the last four digits of my SSN, for ID reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search