Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 10:11 AM

4 posts, read 4,448 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I landed an in-person interview at a large company, now the recruiter asked me to go into Taleo application and provide further information about myself including my SSN# in order to continue through the interview process. I'm not comfortable providing that information unless I know for a fact that I received an offer. My interview is scheduled for today. Would it somehow disqualify me if I ignore the request until I hear back from them after the interview? Why provide all that confidential information if there's a chance I might not even receive an offer?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 11:02 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
Well you have two choices. Provide it and move on, or don't provide it and risk losing your interview. It's their job posting and their call.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Well you have two choices. Provide it and move on, or don't provide it and risk losing your interview. It's their job posting and their call.
I agree, refusal is probably the end of your chances, and they will move on to the next person who does submit the SS#. They are verifying your legal status to work, and that is a hopeful sign. They would have to do it eventually anyway and may just be trying to whittle down the pool a little faster. Refusal shows distrust for the employer, and that is perceived as a negative.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:49 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,447,199 times
Quote:
This.
It seems you're not really interested in the job.
FWIW - I work with Taleo - it's a legit software.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:58 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Did they specifically ask for youth SSN or is it just in Taleo. Try ignoring that field.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:28 PM

4 posts, read 4,448 times
Quote:
I was invited to the interview prior to being asked for additional information. Matter of fact I just came back from my interview.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:39 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,650,170 times
Sooner or later you going to have to give up your SSN#, if you ever want to have a job. It' pretty much goes with the process. People give out their SSN# everyday on applications while looking for work, with no guarantee of getting that job. That's just one of those things in life.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:53 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,190 times
I do not see the big deal? Is the company shady?

Old 06-22-2017, 08:58 AM

602 posts, read 504,681 times
It's one thing for a company to ask for your SSN once they hire you or when they're ready to run a background check on you (since at that point they have a valid reason for knowing your number). It's another for a company to ask you on an initial application or at an interview before you have a tentative job offer (since they would not yet have a valid reason to know, and applicants do have a valid concern about such information ending up in the wrong hands). Asking for the SSN on the first page of the (general) application is bad practice especially, since that makes it easy for anyone passing by the form to see the number.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:06 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Sooner or later you going to have to give up your SSN#, if you ever want to have a job. It' pretty much goes with the process. People give out their SSN# everyday on applications while looking for work, with no guarantee of getting that job. That's just one of those things in life.
I guess the OP has never had a real job before. Assuming she's active on the internet, there are likely many parties who have way more personal info on her than a SSN. The naivety is astounding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search