Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:21 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
So if you took all 2 weeks around the holidays, how did you take care of Dr. appointments, sick children, schools out for snow days, and the numerous personal things that people have to take care of during the business hours of 8-5PM? Just curious.
I don't have kids. Docs I would take a few hours off-which did not count as I am exempt, same with any other personal errand. Often I'd use 7 of 10 vacation days at Christmas/New Years, telecommute 2 days, use 3 vacation days to complete Thanksgiving Week off, and that week, I'd travel someplace new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 07:23 PM

https://www.thebalance.com/how-much-...es-get-2064018

Old 06-28-2017, 07:30 PM

604 posts, read 839,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I don't have kids. Docs I would take a few hours off-which did not count as I am exempt, same with any other personal errand. Often I'd use 7 of 10 vacation days at Christmas/New Years, telecommute 2 days, use 3 vacation days to complete Thanksgiving Week off, and that week, I'd travel someplace new.
Non exempt / hourly employees don't get a few hours off for dr visits and personal errands. They have to use vacation time to do that. And they have to take vacation time for sick kids.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Non exempt / hourly employees don't get a few hours off for dr visits and personal errands. They have to use vacation time to do that. And they have to take vacation time for sick kids.
Many places let them add unpaid time off.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Many places let them add unpaid time off.
Sadly, many do not. Many years ago I was one of those non-exempt employees who had to use vacation time for every single thing that came up. I had no family to help on days when schools closed and when my son was sick. The only option I had was to work through lunch to make up the time. I guess those days haunt me because that's the atmosphere I'm afraid I will have to go back to. I am lucky that I was able to hold out for a better opportunity since I have another source of income.

Non exempt/hourly employees (especially women) are often powerless. They are often viewed as almost sub human and not deserving of any type of life outside of work. Here is an example of what I'm getting at. BTW this happened 15 years ago. I play a lot of league tennis and my league team advanced to the state tournament. That meant I had to take a Friday off work to play. I was highly criticized for taking off work for "recreation". 2 years later my boss took off a Friday for the same thing. However, he was recognized on the company bulletin board celebrating how he was a good employee, a good tennis player and had a well rounded life. Such a double standard. Maybe it was because I am a woman and he is a man, and corporate America is full of double standards for women. I think it was a combination of me being a woman and my job being administrative.

Last edited by Jakealope; 06-29-2017 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-29-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Sadly, many do not. Many years ago I was one of those non-exempt employees who had to use vacation time for every single thing that came up. I had no family to help on days when schools closed and when my son was sick. The only option I had was to work through lunch to make up the time. I guess those days haunt me because that's the atmosphere I'm afraid I will have to go back to. I am lucky that I was able to hold out for a better opportunity since I have another source of income.

Non exempt/hourly employees (especially women) are often powerless. They are often viewed as almost sub human and not deserving of any type of life outside of work. Here is an example of what I'm getting at. BTW this happened 15 years ago. I play a lot of league tennis and my league team advanced to the state tournament. That meant I had to take a Friday off work to play. I was highly criticized for taking off work for "recreation". 2 years later my boss took off a Friday for the same thing. However, he was recognized on the company bulletin board celebrating how he was a good employee, a good tennis player and had a well rounded life. Such a double standard. Maybe it was because I am a woman and he is a man, and corporate America is full of double standards for women. I think it was a combination of me being a woman and my job being administrative.
Maybe since he was likely exempt-they knew he'd have to work as much as needed w/o extra pay to get it done.

If you are willing to collect OT, you must be willing to provide them with all hours required.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Maybe since he was likely exempt-they knew he'd have to work as much as needed w/o extra pay to get it done.

If you are willing to collect OT, you must be willing to provide them with all hours required.
What does OT have to do with this? We weren't allowed to collect OT unless pre approved. And it was never approved. So if I worked extra hours I had to put 40 on my time sheet. Exempt employers were not monitored and many worked 30 hours week. They were the privileged class.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
What does OT have to do with this? We weren't allowed to collect OT unless pre approved. And it was never approved. So if I worked extra hours I had to put 40 on my time sheet. Exempt employers were not monitored and many worked 30 hours week. They were the privileged class.
If he worked extra, he got squat.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:30 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
Quote:
This is pretty routine. Just because you have never heard of it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. My former employer was old fashioned in many ways, but they were good about vacation and understood that people needed some time off work.
I have to say I do not care for your attitude. You have a very self entitled way about you.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I have to say I do not care for your attitude. You have a very self entitled way about you.

Correct. Latest employer, when OP rejected offer, dodged a bullet IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search