Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 07:08 AM

604 posts, read 839,913 times

Advertisements

I worked for the same company for 15 years and was laid off after a corporate merger. After 15 years of service I had 5 weeks vacation and sick time was unlimited. I had a little bit of flexibility with my schedule. I usually worked 7-4 or 7:30 - 4:30 even though office hours were technically 8-5.

So now I am job hunting. I was just offered a new job but the pay is $20K less than what I was making, and PTO is 2 days for the rest of 2017 and then 10 days of vacation and 1 personal day until I reach 5 years of service UGH! I've worked my whole adult life and I feel like no one cares about years of experience.

I know that if you are still employed while job hunting you are in a position to negotiate more PTO or a higher salary. But I'm worried that since I was laid off they would laugh in my face if I ask for another week of vacation or higher salary. If I tell them I had worked for a long time and earned 5 weeks vacation in my previous job would that be considered valid? My gut feeling is that in todays job market employees who were laid off are viewed differently. Like........ sorry you got laid off so now you have to start over like you are an entry level employee and take whatever we offer.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 08:20 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
I know that if you are still employed while job hunting you are in a position to negotiate more PTO or a higher salary.
They can negotiate better because they walk away from the offer if they don't like it and still have a job.

if you're willing to walk away then you can still negotiate, but you might be unemployed for a bit longer.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:38 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,373 times
20k less is a huge difference; were you overpaid in your last job? You need to know what market pay is for your position/field in your metro. Do you have the finances to withstand a job search continuing on if you don't take the offer? I've seen people go and negotiate (or try) and get their offer withdrawn so you'll need to be careful in what you do.

In most large companies - PTO/vacation are not negotiable since they are usually set by years of service with the company.

Pay is another matter- did you check glassdoor for the company and job you are looking at? The site tends to be fairly accurate; if you see a huge scale that typically means the highest portion is someone with a lot of experience with the company/role. Basically if the company you've applied at has a set budget for the job- they will likely not budge much on it; unless you give them good reasons why you are worth more (to them); they don't care what you were making at your last job.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:44 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times
You won't have any leverage, but you still need to try. Your best bet is to say you got another offer for the same or slightly higher. You can't go too high though because if they say they won't match it then they will wonder why you took their lower offer.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:31 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
You can always negotiate-- the stakes are just higher for you if you don't have another job to fall back on (and they know it- unless they have the impression you are weighing this against another job offer). You could try talking about what you got in your last job (i.e., 5 wk vacation), but that's not really relevant to what they're willing and/or able to give you unless they want you that badly. If they do, they might compromise. If you're one of many qualified candidates, they might walk and take the person who will accept the job as is. You got to better benefits and pay after being in your other job for a long time. You haven't worked your way up to the pay and benefits in the new job, sounds like.

So negotiate if you want, but be prepared to either accept or walk away and try to find something different if negotiations don't go your way. I would say to weigh factors into your decision like how many other candidates are likely, what market pay/PTO is for the job description, and whether you have money sitting to live on lest you need to go on the job search again.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
20k less is a huge difference; were you overpaid in your last job? You need to know what market pay is for your position/field in your metro. Do you have the finances to withstand a job search continuing on if you don't take the offer? I've seen people go and negotiate (or try) and get their offer withdrawn so you'll need to be careful in what you do.

In most large companies - PTO/vacation are not negotiable since they are usually set by years of service with the company.

Pay is another matter- did you check glassdoor for the company and job you are looking at? The site tends to be fairly accurate; if you see a huge scale that typically means the highest portion is someone with a lot of experience with the company/role. Basically if the company you've applied at has a set budget for the job- they will likely not budge much on it; unless you give them good reasons why you are worth more (to them); they don't care what you were making at your last job.
I wasn't overpaid, but I had worked at the company for a long time and had gotten raises and promotions. The job was pretty specific to that company so I'm willing to take a pay cut for a new job.

Sadly, my main goal is health insurance through an employer. My husband is self employed and I have a seasonal home based business that brings in a good income. I guess I'm like a lot of people these days and I don't have all my eggs in one basket. The killer is health insurance for self employed people has become way too expensive with gigantic deductibles.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:09 AM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
OP, You can try, but you may lose the opportunity. It is your job to calculate if that is worth the risk.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:32 AM

405 posts, read 573,467 times
I would negotiate salary and PTO. I doubt you would lose the job, they would simply just tell you no.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:56 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
OP, please let us know how it turns out. Updates are great to see.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:05 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm pretty sure that the hiring manager thought I was simply going to accept the offer. He told me to think it over and I could simply email an "acceptance" on Monday.

So I thought about the job offer over the weekend. Part of my issue was that since I would be starting the job at age 53, I could potentially work there until I was 65 and still only earn a measly 3 weeks vacation after the 5th year. The more I though about it, that really rubbed me the wrong way. I have years of work experience, have worked my whole adult life and my last job ended due to layoff. And now I have to start over like I'm 25 years old. These vacation accumulation polices were created many years ago when most people stayed at the same job for 30 years.

Anyway, we spoke on Monday and I expressed my concerns. They advised that vacation time was corporate policy and was not negotiable. But they could work with me if I needed unpaid time off.

So I told them that it simply wasn't a good fit for me at this point in time and thanked them for taking the time to interview me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search