Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,023 times

Advertisements

Recently went to another one despite my better judgement, I swore them off since 2 years ago. They're overly crowded, and most of the time disorganized. I feel like it's a waste because I know I don't stand out among the 1,000s of people they see a day. And when they have job fairs for three plus weeks do you really think they'll remember you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 07:29 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,478,379 times
I do not care for job fairs. I wonder how many people actually get jobs.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:46 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,183,800 times
I would only go to a job fair if the employers there were interviewing that day on-site and I wanted to work for those employers. Lots of times the employers who are doing that are usually pretty shady 100% commission type jobs, but not always. I went to a job fair in CO where a couple of oil companies were interviewing and hiring guys on the spot for the oil fields in North Dakota. Otherwise, IMO, you are better off spending that time doing something else. Almost always they will tell you to just apply online, not accepting applications in person.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:34 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,407,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabethWhite View Post
Recently went to another one despite my better judgement, I swore them off since 2 years ago. They're overly crowded, and most of the time disorganized. I feel like it's a waste because I know I don't stand out among the 1,000s of people they see a day. And when they have job fairs for three plus weeks do you really think they'll remember you?
Job Fairs.

May some new information can be obtained about a company or organization, but in general:

Lots and lots of under-employed and unemployed people go to these. Like a heard of cows.

And what is the labor market like in town with job fairs? I think of Tucson, and similar places.....

Old 07-03-2017, 08:34 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Job Fairs.

May some new information can be obtained about a company or organization, but in general:

Lots and lots of under-employed and unemployed people go to these. Like a heard of cows.

And what is the labor market like in town with job fairs? I think of Tucson, and similar places.....
Regarding the bolded part: Yes I would think that job fairs are attended by people who are looking for a job. Who else would be there?

Old 07-03-2017, 09:16 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,343 times
Quote:

I don't know why I go to job fairs either. People like the workforce always encourage you to go. They say it's a learning experience..whatever. I'm just desperate for work and don't know what else to do because interviews are a waste for me too. I don't really learn anything from them. I guess I hope if there's more employers there at least one should give me a chance but it's all BS because they're just there to market and most of the jobs I'm not interested in. The only thing that makes job fairs different is sometimes they have an apprenticeship but I haven't even had luck with that!
You get free food I suppose but you're probably better off not going and if you're a sociable person stick to getting interviews other ways as a job fair for the average person is just for learning about jobs.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:41 PM

29,505 posts, read 22,616,067 times
Waste of time.

Only time I went to one was 4 years ago, the lines were huge just to give them your resume and a sales pitch.

Complete nonsense and seems more like a PR thing for companies and perhaps some things beneficial in the background for companies doing these dumb things (tax breaks?).

In all my previous companies we've never hired anyone in my department from those things, and a few of my companies were actually a part of an industry job fair thing.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:23 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,744,445 times
Quote:

That's why I never attended them and felt looking for a job at home online was more productive than standing in line with a bunch of people.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:31 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Regarding the bolded part: Yes I would think that job fairs are attended by people who are looking for a job. Who else would be there?
My thoughts exactly!!

I rarely have gone to job fairs, but I like the idea of learning more about companies that are out there in my field. The few times I've gone, I've been able to get a sense of what it might be like working for certain places. I have known people to get jobs from them, but typically just those who are desperate (the companies). If I were unemployed and didn't have other pressing engagements, it's worth the time. If I had to take off from a current job to go, then maybe not.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:53 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
My thoughts exactly!!

I rarely have gone to job fairs, but I like the idea of learning more about companies that are out there in my field. The few times I've gone, I've been able to get a sense of what it might be like working for certain places.
I wish I felt that way because then it wouldn't be such a huge waste of time. I'm personally not interested in learning about companies. When you're long term unemployed you just want to work. As long as it's a position I'm interested in or a store I'm interested in which means I'd be comfortable with their products I don't care what the company culture is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search