Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 06:11 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
What the hell--- why do people think 40 is some magic number to start 'weeding people out as undesirable?'

40 is not old. Seriously. I'm 42 and I 'am not old.' I don't think like some old person, I keep up with technology, I don't 'cost more' because of insurance--I don't smoke or drink or do drugs.

Please...it's all b.s.

Oh, I know, let's all hire 25 year olds...and the rest of us can kill ourselves like in that movie, Logan's Run (I think it was called that...go google it..)

Fortunately I live up in Vermont where half the people are REALLY old...(and still work..)
Love it! Some young cutsies have brains but other jobs require experience. I am far from killing myself off:>)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 09:10 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josdegr50 View Post
On personality tests never, ever pick "Strongly Agree" or "Strongly Disagree". Both of those answers are a job killer. "Somewhat Agree, Neutral or Somewhat Disagree" are your better choices.

Oh, is THAT what those silly tests are about. Someone is making a killing selling those to Human Resource departments. Like those tests are going to pick a qualified worker.
Next they will have Miss Cleo doing a fortune telling on candidates.

So one isn't supposed to think strongly about anything? More unsure or more neutral or apathetic must be more desirable.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
You know, I have never minded taking a "Literacy/Comprehension" test for math, spelling, filing, etc. I have never had a problem passing those and they are good tests to "weed out" people who are bad in math or whatever when they are going to work in Inventory or another clerical type job.
Now, the "Personality" tests I do have a problem with. If you don't answer the questions with answers that HR wants to see, your resume could end up in the old trash can.....pronto like!
Screening, interviewing, "personality" testing, etc., etc. If you are going to a Government or State type job, I can understand this. But, if you are applying for a simple Warehouse or other lower to medium paying jobs, "come on Employers, do you have to know EVERYTHING about me??"

If you have a college degree, why would you have to take a Literacy or Comprehension test?

Old 03-14-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchDoctor View Post
It is a strange situation that the EEOC apparently puts the already stressed out HR department in. You can't hire someone based on their race, but you have to know their race to make sure you're not hiring them based on their race. We all know there are some magic numbers somewhere that tell you how the workforce has to be spread out, according to EEOC rules. At some point, someone has to be hired based on compliance to those rules and therefore, several other people will be discriminated against.

Yep...and race isn't supposed to matter, but they make it matter. It is all crazy.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:54 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
If you have a college degree, why would you have to take a Literacy or Comprehension test?

Because college degree does not mean you have the necessary focus for the job.
I am a total intravert but very successfully in my line of sales.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:43 PM

215 posts, read 1,660,387 times
I took one of those tests for Wal-Mart. I found the trick was to skew the answer. If the question was something like "is it right for your boss to have a longer lunch then you get" and the choices were "no way, no, maybe, yes, and certainly" then I'd pick "maybe" when I honestly felt "no way". etc.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:23 PM

531 posts, read 1,744,017 times
I would think the age question would not be legal,as it could lead to discrimination. Like the Logan's Run reference! I know 70 year olds who are healthier than some young people.My grandfather held a job until he was in his 80's and his mind was as sharp as any 30 year old's!

Old 03-21-2008, 05:31 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,793,604 times
According to the EEOC, 40 years old is the cutoff for age discrimination complaints.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:54 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,012,144 times
Oh did you know they now hire you depending on your credit check? If you owe too much.. you dont get hired.. you would think they would hire you if you owed a lot .. meaning you will work hard to try and pay that debt off...

Old 03-21-2008, 07:48 PM

236 posts, read 1,085,643 times
Places that pull credit are looking to see if you are a security risk. If you're in debt up to your eyeballs, you might steal from the company given the chance. You also might sell the secret family recipe if someone offers enough money.

The military will deny a security clearance for the same reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search