Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 08:13 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times

Advertisements

Do you dress "lighter" or 'differently' for an interview when it's very hot out -- say 85, 90-95 degrees or more? Or not?

Most places have AC so the building you're in shouldn't be sweltering. And most transportation has AC. So technically it's only when and if you're outside that the heat should be an issue. But I still thought I'd ask.

It came to mind because it's over 90 degrees a lot of places -- and I have no AC because my unit picked THIS holiday weekend to go on the fritz -- so it got me to thinking.......If had had to dress for an interview in this heat -- and put on a black suit I think I'd keel over....

Most of my interview suits, or coordinating separates are black or brown.

Guys: Do you just suck it up and wear your regular dark suit? Do you switch to lighter or tan-- Oh remember when president Obama wore a tan suit and all the comments there were about that? You all do have it have because a suit is about the only thing you can wear. At least women have the choice of going to a skirt or dress.

Ladies: do you ever wear short sleeves. (There's a website where this is debated: Are short sleeves professional attire, and would you were short sleeves to an interview?) I'm NOT a dress person, so I'd still wear a pants suit.

If you're in AZ, TX, FL, NM...you likely have to deal with this all the time.
And even in PA, DC, and NY......the heat and humidity can make dressing for an interview in August a challenge, I would think.

Your thoughts on what to wear to an interview when it's 95 degrees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 08:38 AM

26 posts, read 17,456 times
In my opinion, wearing a formal blazer is essential in any job interview, whether it's cold or hot.

When it's hot, I wear a formal sleeveless dress and I carry my blazer with me. I only put it on either before entering the building or once I am inside. And yes, it is hot and humid and at times you sweat buckets with blazer on in the interview room. But I would still stick to the blazer no matter what Perhaps the only exception is when you spend a whole day of interviews and see everyone else dressed casually/informally and maybe one of these folks suggests you can take off the blazer...

Old 07-03-2017, 09:57 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
I dress the same no matter the external weather.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:26 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
You dress for the interview regardless of temp. Roll up your sleeves, pop the top button on your shirt and have the jacket in the back seat while driving to the interview if you want to, just get yourself squared away before heading inside.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:01 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Do you dress "lighter" or 'differently' for an interview when it's very hot out -- say 85, 90-95 degrees or more? Or not?

Most places have AC so the building you're in shouldn't be sweltering. And most transportation has AC. So technically it's only when and if you're outside that the heat should be an issue. But I still thought I'd ask.

It came to mind because it's over 90 degrees a lot of places -- and I have no AC because my unit picked THIS holiday weekend to go on the fritz -- so it got me to thinking.......If had had to dress for an interview in this heat -- and put on a black suit I think I'd keel over....

Most of my interview suits, or coordinating separates are black or brown.

Guys: Do you just suck it up and wear your regular dark suit? Do you switch to lighter or tan-- Oh remember when president Obama wore a tan suit and all the comments there were about that? You all do have it have because a suit is about the only thing you can wear. At least women have the choice of going to a skirt or dress.

Ladies: do you ever wear short sleeves. (There's a website where this is debated: Are short sleeves professional attire, and would you were short sleeves to an interview?) I'm NOT a dress person, so I'd still wear a pants suit.

If you're in AZ, TX, FL, NM...you likely have to deal with this all the time.
And even in PA, DC, and NY......the heat and humidity can make dressing for an interview in August a challenge, I would think.

Your thoughts on what to wear to an interview when it's 95 degrees?

I think I look awful in dresses especially now so I wouldn't know what to wear and the few skirts I have are casual.

I wouldn't even know but everyone I encounter says the button up blouse I have is what is appropriate so it doesn't matter if it's short sleeve. You just have to have pants.

However I don't know why I even bother dressing up because I don't get the job anyway. They pick on so many things. I often wonder if I should just go into the interview in whatever I usually wear. It's not like I'm a provocative dresser...just regular shorts and a band shirt. Plus I've seen people in jobs with colored hair and piercings so you have to wonder why it matters if they're not really in standard uniform.
I do it anyway in hopes that it would put me above the competition but it appears my competition probably wore something casual anyway. If it got me the job it's one thing and I wouldn't mind wearing it then..however I got the job that's fine but it's trying too hard. When I wear something like a blouse I'm not being myself sure it might be my color but it's not my style and in an interview they should be wanting to hire you for you otherwise we'd all hire by resumes alone. When I know you want me to dress a certain way you want me to talk a certain way you want me to even think a certain way you want me to display perfect body language. Another thing that frustrates me is that even if it pertains to the job you still can't wear a t shirt..so like if I wore my dog shirt to the pet store interview they consider that unprofessional but it would make me stand out because who else would think to wear that? The other thing that frustrates me is I've been told I have great legs so how can I show them off with pants and persuade the interviewer into hiring me (if he was a man which they usually are)? I mean I would love to be just hired for my work ethic or who I am but they aren't doing that so I have to use what I have and other people get to use lying to get into jobs because they are great liars and I'm not so what do I have? I wouldn't know if it would work because I still have a baby face and imperfect teeth but if I could do it I'm desperate enough to. I know I know that sounds terrible because you think hey that would set you up for sexual harassment but sometimes men may subconsciously pick for appearance reasons and even if they didn't it doesn't mean they'd take advantage of on the job because unlike favoritism it would get them in trouble. Well a dress I guess could show off my legs but again it's not my style and dresses are even harder to choose than blouses.

I think if it gets hot enough though I'll probably put my shorts on underneath if I even still have interviews anymore because that's what I did in the temp job. They told us we had to wear pants so my pajama shorts were underneath my slacks/jeans. At some point I thought of doing that in any occasion I have pants like sometimes when it's winter I will do that so I'm ready for bed or to relax at home with the heater.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:20 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,480,512 times
I know it sucks but I would wear a suit.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:31 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,130 times
Base on my observation, guys will suck it up by still wearing suit. Ladies can be more light on clothing, like dress, which give them an advantage.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:00 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,151,426 times
I am a woman and I always wear a pantsuit to any job interview. When it is hot, I wear a sleeveless top underneath and wait to put on my jacket when I am walking in to the building.

I like dresses, I just don't wear them to job interviews.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:50 AM

26 posts, read 17,456 times
To ladies,

Do you always wear a matching suit to job interviews?
How about mixing colors a bit, for example, black pants, white chiffon top and a blazer of a black-gray pattern?

Old 07-11-2017, 12:56 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times
I would do that. I have suits and I have coordinating separates.

For me it's about the long sleeve top, AND the jacket. That can be HOT.
(I know I could where are tank top and jacket)

But I suppose as one person said....if your in a car (or public bus) it's air conditioned, the building will have AC.
So the only time you're really 'sweating' it out would be the brief time you're outside.
So you dod what you have to do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search