Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 04:27 AM

26 posts, read 17,456 times

Advertisements

So, here is the context:

I traveled to another city to attend an interview with the HR for a role that sounded quite interesting to me. This employer did not offer to reimburse my travel expenses which turned out to be substantial (had to stay the night in a hotel before returning which added to overall cost). The HR person I was supposed to meet showed up for the interview about 10 minutes late. Anyway... After a while, during the interview, the hiring manager joined in and explained more about the role and where I could fit in. Note that this role is not publicly advertised as of now but it looked like they would consider me for it. I thought this was a positive sign. At the end of the 2.5 hour interview, the manager mentioned that she would sit with the HR to get a clearer idea about me and after that, they would mail me a technical test to complete before a final decision.

The next day after the interview I dropped an email to the HR saying that I very much enjoyed the talk, I am still very interested in the role and hope to hear from them soon about the next steps. No response....

Today, it's the 6th workday after my interview and I sent a follow-up email to the HR telling her politely that I have a couple of interviews elsewhere coming up in the near future (which is true) and I would like to know what is happening with the new role they told me about (implying that I would give priority to this particular role - because it does sound like a great role). It's been a few hours now and no response...

So, my question is: Suppose I do not get to hear from HR in the next few days, can I reach out and contact the hiring manager instead even though I did not explicitly ask for the manager's contact details during the interview but whose email address I found out later through other means?

You may wonder why I am being quite "pushy" about this scenario; well, first, this is a role that I will not get to interview for very often - it sounds like something I have dreamed of doing in a long while. Second, I paid a few hundreds of bucks just to get there and interview, and I believe I am entitled to some clear communication from them - whatever that is - I want to hear. And no, I do not consider silence an answer in this particular situation.

It is hard to not feel utterly frustrated about this whole thing.

Any insights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:53 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,042,698 times
Yes, it is ok to reach out to the hiring manager.

Keep a lid on that feeling of entitlement though. They don't owe you anything for the effort you put out. It was your choice to interview out of area, or to interview at all. Yes, it is common courtesy to contact the candidate in situations like this, but many companies don't. Speaking to them with a chip on your shoulder isn't going to do you any favors.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:22 AM

26 posts, read 17,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Yes, it is ok to reach out to the hiring manager.

Keep a lid on that feeling of entitlement though. They don't owe you anything for the effort you put out. It was your choice to interview out of area, or to interview at all. Yes, it is common courtesy to contact the candidate in situations like this, but many companies don't. Speaking to them with a chip on your shoulder isn't going to do you any favors.
Thanks for your comment! I have meanwhile reached out to the hiring manager who responded in 10 minutes. It looks like I am still being considered for the role which is a miracle in itself - (that's a different role from the whole-day one we have been exchanging opinions about).

Old 07-10-2017, 04:28 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,975 times
oh wow second thread like this today.. it was a holiday last week and most people take some extra time off - it may not all be consecutive but perhaps the manager and/or HR rep took an extra day or two off after your interview and (surprise!) are also working on actual work items, not just sending out assessments for a potential candidate. Also, your post just says they would talk - not when they would send you something out.. Cool your jets and wait.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:58 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun&seafood View Post
Thanks for your comment! I have meanwhile reached out to the hiring manager who responded in 10 minutes. It looks like I am still being considered for the role which is a miracle in itself - (that's a different role from the whole-day one we have been exchanging opinions about).
Good luck!

Old 07-10-2017, 08:26 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,537,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun&seafood View Post
everyone is "in consideration" until they make the hiring decision...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search