Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 05:17 PM

127 posts, read 102,171 times

Advertisements

In my search for a new position, I keep encountering companies that use SkillSurvey as their way of checking references, where the input of two direct managers is required for the report to be completed. Problem is that I currently work for a company that has a strict no reference policy. So, in essence, I am unable to comply with the new company's request, and I am concerned about the impact on my candidacy.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 08:14 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Is the company policy that:
a. Mangers are strictly prohibited from giving reference.
OR,
b. You are not allowed to list anyone as a reference.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Is the company policy that:
a. Mangers are strictly prohibited from giving reference.
OR,
b. You are not allowed to list anyone as a reference.
It's a).

And it's becoming a real impediment in my job search. Not having your current manager's reference is an immediate red flag. In SkillSurvey, two managers (one current) are required to be able to run the report. Otherwise, the feedback of all your other references will not be processed, nor will the company have their contact info to do a check old school. Not only that, I mobilized all my references to partake in the survey, and needed to make my manager aware prematurely that I am looking for a new job (that is now not going to happen). I have been reading that many companies require SkillSurvey even before an interview to assist in the selection process. At the same time, working for a company that does not give out references from managers makes you/me feel like an oddball. As if it were my responsibility to get my manager to break the rules. I'm not really sure how this disconnect is even going to work out in the long run. On one hand, you need manager references, on the other hand, companies protect themselves by not allowing them, but at the same time ask for them when THEY are hiring.

An increasing number of companies seem to be utilizing this application to facilitate the reference check.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:49 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
Then you put down your managers' names.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Then you put down your managers' names.
Please explain how that would be helpful if the manager is not allowed to participate in the reference check. SkillSurvey processes the information only if two managers, one of them the current one, fill out the survey. Without them, a report on the candidate will not be generated, and all the information that your other participating references have supplied, will be inaccessible to the hiring company.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:37 AM

I read your post to quickly. Yeah, that's a catch 22 since a lot of companies won't give references anymore. I would contact the hiring company and ask what you are supposed to do since (apparently) your employer only confirms dates of employment.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I read your post to quickly. Yeah, that's a catch 22 since a lot of companies won't give references anymore. I would contact the hiring company and ask what you are supposed to do since (apparently) your employer only confirms dates of employment.
The hiring company had no suggestion. I supplied performance appraisals. But the hiring company's objective of getting the SkillSurvey report was not met. I supplied them with a list of references for traditional check, and alerted my references once again about the possibility of a call. None of them have been contacted. I find it hard to believe that I am the only person in their HR system that has run into the no-reference problem with their current employer, so the hiring company is not able to use SkillSurvey.

That's why I had hoped to hear from folks who had that same issue, and how you resolved it. I have no other "higher ups", as I am one step below the director level. Any senior employee on site is my direct report, who was on the list in SKillSuvery, btw.

I am actually rather perplexed about this entire situation.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:31 PM

Are you sure that you want to work for a company that lacks basic common sense and uses a program that is designed to fail?

Old 07-15-2017, 06:47 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
You put their names down. Yes, the company will not provide a reference and yes it may hinder your ability to get the new job, BUT, to simply throw your hands up in disgust and walk off the playing field is a sure way to not be considered. Put the names down and if they say anything about those individuals saying they wont give a reference, just explain it's out of your hands. You can only do so much and if you hit wall, climb over it, walk around it, or dig under it... but if the wall was made in such a way you can't get to the other side no matter what you do, consider what Joe said about if that's a company you want to work for. You never know if after so many explanations they decide to forget that requirement.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:18 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,019,347 times
How can this work for companies out of business. Sounds like a disaster business model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search