Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 454 times

Advertisements

(or is it just a new way to deal with the over-supply of qualified developers?)

How to deal with personality tests disguised as technical tests?

I am an experienced (10+ years) software developer with a definitely relevant accredited university degree. I have recently been through a bunch of phone/in-person interviews for positions heralded by the job "recruiter" as "senior positions" where I was asked by the interviewer (sometimes a "manager" with none to flimsy programming background) either:

1. quite basic technical questions that every reasonable developer should be able to answer after no more than 1 year of work (e.g., explain interface vs. abstract class). I answered them well, although it has become embarrassing to be asked such questions. I have provided in my resume links to several definitely non-trivial open-source projects that I have been developed over the last few years. It would be impossible to create such things without a lot more than this very elementary type of knowledge.

2. Yes/no or open-ended questions. E.g. "Have you worked with framework X?", "Have you worked in an agile environment?", "What do you think about language Y?". Or "What did you do in project Z?" (I get about 60-90 seconds to explain).

Never heard back from any of these employers.

The problem with these questions is, that they make it almost impossible to distinguish myself from the other 100-200 candidates. So it's quite obvious to me that whether these are questions of type (1) or (2) - all they want is to hear how I talk, judge my personality by what I say and how I say it, and don't care much about my professional qualifications and how I think.

These guys are getting paid for this game, while I am not. I started contemplating walking out of such interviews.

P.S. In the past, I did come across variants of such interviews. It was just not so often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 08:36 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,085,714 times
Sound ridiculous, they want too much from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search