Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 02:37 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
What is typically the best way to find a job? Should I post my resume on a job search website, or go through an employment agency, or fill out a paper application in person, or apply on the company's website? I need to know the strategy that is most effective.
Do not post your resume. All you will get are staffing agencies, Multilevel marketers and other scammers. If you have to, do not post your phone number and use a throw away email.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 02:46 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,006,421 times
Get referred by someone in the company. Use your network to find someone that has connections in the company.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:52 PM

696 posts, read 906,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Do not post your resume. All you will get are staffing agencies, Multilevel marketers and other scammers. If you have to, do not post your phone number and use a throw away email.
^^ This. I would add only post a summary resume omitting employers and dates. Some of the staffing agencies will screen scrape your resume and slap some H-1Bs name on it, or worse, submit you to positions without your knowledge. Since thee chances of a callback are virtually nil, you will never know.

Last edited by sonetlumiere; 08-03-2017 at 03:42 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 05:00 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,513 times
Id say hands down the best way is going through someone internal. Landing the job is not guaranteed even though you know someone but you can usually at least get a interview and/or guarantee that your resume will be looked at by Human eyes as opposed to being stuck in Taleo or whatever.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:41 PM

696 posts, read 906,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I passively let recruiters come to me based on my LinkedIn profile. I don't post my resume on sites - get too many farmers and garbage recruiters that blast every junk job they can find. Most companies don't even have paper applications anymore. Employment agencies will take 50% of your salary just for the privilege of cutting you a check every 2 weeks.

If recruiters won't come to you, your best bet is to scan Indeed and LinkedIn.
The only hits I get on LinkedIn are noob recruiters harvesting resumes for inventory (at best) or to pitch some poorly paying out of town gig where I'm expected to eat T&E for some lowball rate or vendors wanting to mine my contacts to pitch their product.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:22 PM

1,235 posts, read 731,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
What is typically the best way to find a job? Should I post my resume on a job search website, or go through an employment agency, or fill out a paper application in person, or apply on the company's website? I need to know the strategy that is most effective.
Networking, networking, networking. Being a member of specialized organizations. Civic engaged. Networking.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:24 PM

1,235 posts, read 731,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIL9 View Post
Don't forget to let everyone you know that you are actively looking for a new job in the field of your choice. You never know where your next 'connection' might arise.
I agree

Old 08-04-2017, 06:32 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Best way to get hired?

Know somebody there that can put in a good word for you.

Heck, that's exactly how I got hired in every single job I've had since being in my current industry for the past 21 years. Before that first great job opportunity I was a few years out of the Navy, broke, no college degree, and with no job prospects. My friend from the Navy put in a great word for me at the company he was at, and it was solely his recommendation that carried the greatest weight and I was hired. I will eternally be grateful for him.

In subsequent jobs, I also had people I knew working there to refer me and it worked every time.

As a matter of fact, my current job, I had applied online many times through the years, always with a standard rejection e-mail (IF we find a match, yada yada yada). Finally knew someone from a previous job that was hired on there, and he personally handed my resume to the hiring manager with a great recommendation. Voila, instant phone call back, phone screen, personal interview, then job offer.

Works. Every. Time.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:07 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,984,909 times
Know someone in a position of power that already works there who can get you hired. There is no other way these days

Old 08-06-2017, 11:08 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,311,906 times
The best way to get a job is by networking/referral. The statistics bear this out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search