Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 03:31 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,993,638 times

Advertisements

I interviewed 6-7 times for an entry level mngmt position in CA 6-mos ago. The District Manager, who was my initial & main contact throughout the process, contacted me twice/wk for 6-wks with updates, then the last 2, tapered off & I had to contact her once/wk for a status... she wasn't as timely, forthcoming or as friendly with her belated replies. Obviously, that was the time she/they found a better candidate. I missed her last phone call saying to return her call & thereafter, she didn't return my voice mail or email. I didn't get the job.

Most interviews were scheduled for 1-hr, but went on for 2-3, with her & others. Additionally, she felt I was over-qualified for the job & that I was better qualified for at least a DM (her job). She was right in that I was over-qualified, but I'd have gladly taken the position to gain entree into an international $B co & told her/others so multiple times. They must have believed me or I wouldn't have gotten to 6-7 interviews, I'm assuming.

Two things... there is another job (same entry level mngmt position I was interviewing for last yr) in her old territory. She's since left the co... according to her LinkedIn profile, she changes jobs every 2-yrs.

Additionally, she's accepted a job as an entry level mngr with another $B co (surprising to me, at least, given that concern was I was over-qualified & she'd been mid-level mngmt for a decade), for which there's a similar position 600-mi north. I'd happily accept either job with either co.

I've been with my current employer for 13-yrs & then 10-yrs at my previous co. I'm a bit green on networking & LinkedIn protocol, as I've never had to use social networking to get a job, so forgive my naivete. Is it professional/acceptable for me to contact her via her LinkedIn profile Re: either job? I'll send my resume via the website where I initially connected with her for the entry level mngmt job at the co she worked for for 2-yrs until June of this year.

With the 2nd entry level position 600-mi north of her, dare I contact her in a friendly way to say hello, I'm applying for the job & nothing more? Since she's only been with the co for 2-mos, it's doubtful she has any pull, but, I'd leave it to her to contact me for advice or any tips on who/how to apply. Or, do I assume that her abrupt departure from the interviewing process means don't bother with any contact? Basically, is it helpful for me to try to begin building a network (I have none online, atm), or just apply as usual & let nature take its course?

Thank you for any useful info you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 07:24 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
Know if she left on good terms if you apply for job at her old company? If she took a job far away and lower rank, she may have been forced out

Networking isn't just throwing names around

Old 07-31-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Know if she left on good terms if you apply for job at her old company? If she took a job far away and lower rank, she may have been forced out
Hi, MLS. I wouldn't know sans contacting her & we're not friends, so it would be unlikely she'd offer up that info, if that were the case. When I was interviewing with her 6-mos ago, she said she was responsible for substantially increased revenue with a few failing projects she inherited & that's believable as it was easy to see how capable she is, handling a lot of responsibility & a huge territory, working extraordinary hours.

As I mentioned, she does change jobs every 2-yrs for other District Mngmt positions... not up or down in rank, but lateral... so I was surprised to see her new title. Then again, she was working 'round the clock & it could have been a simple choice at wanting to be around more for her young son, with a less demanding schedule.

Quote:
Networking isn't just throwing names around
I understand. But, as I've never utilized LinkedIn before, I was wondering how I might be able to, to my advantage.

I wasn't necessarily going to use her name with her old co, mainly as I'm unsure if it's in my favor to say I already interviewed for a similar job with them & wasn't hired... & of course, what you mentioned above. I was mainly wanting to contact her for interview tips with the co & thought perhaps she could now speak frankly as to why I wasn't hired, which could give me a leg up with other interviews. Then again, since she eventually just abruptly stopped all contact, rather than saying thanks for interviewing, we chose someone else, but, keep in touch, I'm unsure.

With the new job, again, there's a similar position in NoCal (she's in SoCal) & I thought she might be able to give me some tips on approach. I just don't know if she'll want to or if it's cool for me to even initiate contact.

This process is all new to me, having had only 2 jobs in 25-yrs. Just thought of something, leaving jobs out of it... is it cool for me to contact her via LinkedIn, just to say hello, just came across her profile & congrats on her new job? If she asks about my situation or wishes to connect, I can take it from there.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:33 PM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
^^ I don't see why that would be a problem.
Use LinkedIn to your advantage. Isn't that what it's for contacts and networking?
Worse case scenario she doesn't contact you. So what.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ I don't see why that would be a problem.
Use LinkedIn to your advantage. Isn't that what it's for contacts and networking?
Worse case scenario she doesn't contact you. So what.
Thank you. I think I'll take the chance. I won't mention applying for jobs, just say 'hello'. I'll wait to see if she'd like to keep in touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search