Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 10:26 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
They don't really want to hire. Lots of companies are like this. Frustrating for the job lookers and makes no sense at all why companies continue to do stuff like this.

Seeing a job posted over and over makes me think it's a fake opening or a job with high turnover. There is nothing positive about the same job posted all the time and should never be taken seriously by anyone looking for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 05:55 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
The term "recession" is not a feeling, not a instinct, not a personal symptom, not a personal indicator of not being able to find a job. It has an economic definition of two terms of negative growth in the US on a national scale. Simple as that.

We have not been in a recession, per definition, since 2009. You have a rant due to personal circumstances, I am sorry for that but not everyone shares your misfortune. Many of us are doing very well in this economy.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:49 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Many of us are doing very well in this economy.
And many are not. And it cannot be because they "all" don't want to work. Or that they are "all" being picky. Something is wrong and I don't think applicants should be bearing the brunt of the blame.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:17 AM

186 posts, read 125,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The term "recession" is not a feeling, not a instinct, not a personal symptom, not a personal indicator of not being able to find a job. It has an economic definition of two terms of negative growth in the US on a national scale. Simple as that.

We have not been in a recession, per definition, since 2009. You have a rant due to personal circumstances, I am sorry for that but not everyone shares your misfortune. Many of us are doing very well in this economy.
You can read all the BS labor statistics but when you actually go out there and talk to people and see what kind of jobs companies are hiring for, we kind of still are in a recession. When there's a 200 to 1 ratio for jobs paying less than 15/hr vs jobs paying 60k and up, that's a sign of a weak economy. You may think that not everyone has a misfortune but guess what this is the US of A and the private sector shows no mercy. One day, you WILL have misfortunes and will have a crisis dealt to you. You and you alone will have to handle that yourself. Whether you get too sick and can't work anymore or if your job gets rid of you, the government won't be there to help you. They will be there to incarcerate you if you step out of line though. Just food for the thought. Everyone will have a crisis or several at some point in their life.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:00 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcuraMan View Post
You can read all the BS labor statistics but when you actually go out there and talk to people and see what kind of jobs companies are hiring for, we kind of still are in a recession. When there's a 200 to 1 ratio for jobs paying less than 15/hr vs jobs paying 60k and up, that's a sign of a weak economy. You may think that not everyone has a misfortune but guess what this is the US of A and the private sector shows no mercy. One day, you WILL have misfortunes and will have a crisis dealt to you. You and you alone will have to handle that yourself. Whether you get too sick and can't work anymore or if your job gets rid of you, the government won't be there to help you. They will be there to incarcerate you if you step out of line though. Just food for the thought. Everyone will have a crisis or several at some point in their life.
You are missing the point entirely. We aren't in a recession at all.

We may have problems with income disparity, median wage, and regional unemployment. Those things are all true, but they have nothing to do with a recession.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:16 AM

186 posts, read 125,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You are missing the point entirely. We aren't in a recession at all.

We may have problems with income disparity, median wage, and regional unemployment. Those things are all true, but they have nothing to do with a recession.
I suppose you're right lol. I talked with several friends of mine that used to study abroad in Spain. They said when they were over there and made friends, everyone was super friendly. They did say however, most young people work some restaurant job or service industry job and live at home with their parents because the economy is so bad. I guess that's the direction the US wants to head in. Plenty of service industry jobs and everyone just ends up living at home for the rest of their lives. I believe right now 47% of young people still live with their family. When you add that in with people who live with friends because they can't afford their own house I'm sure that number rises dramatically.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:43 AM

119 posts, read 95,457 times
Look, this is a third world country. We aren't developed. We never did fully develop. We are going backwards in terms of living standards. Wages are crap and the jobs are getting crappier. There is no economic growth. There has not been a single skyscraper built in my town since at least the 1980's. Companies do not want to train workers because there are so many unemployed ones laying about. Forget finding a good, skilled job. The only new jobs opening in America are for unskilled positions paying under $15 hourly.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:58 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
Look, this is a third world country.
I am feeling pedantic this morning. The original definition of "First World" goes back to the Cold War and refers to the US and allies. "Second World" is the USSR and allies. Third world is neutral countries not allied to the first or second world powers. Technically Switzerland is a third world country

Quote:
We aren't developed. We never did fully develop.
By what definition of develop? Develop,ent usually refers to technical and industrial capacity, and I don't see how you can say that the USA did not develop by those standards.

Quote:
We are going backwards in terms of living standards.
On the whole, you are correct.

Quote:
Wages are crap and the jobs are getting crappier.
There is actually more of a disparity than before. People are either winners or losers in this economy, the middle class is being gutted.

Quote:
There is no economic growth.
Demonstrably false. We have had economic growth on a national level side 2009.

Quote:
There has not been a single skyscraper built in my town since at least the 1980's.
So what. I can see dozens of construction cranes in any direction in Seattle.

Quote:
Companies do not want to train workers because there are so many unemployed ones laying about. Forget finding a good, skilled job. The only new jobs opening in America are for unskilled positions paying under $15 hourly.
Depends on region and industry. Income disparity and regional differences are troubling, but you cast this as a universal, and that is simply wrong.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:16 AM

119 posts, read 95,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcuraMan View Post
You need to "know people" if you want to have a job paying $60k in this economy. I went to college and can't even find a job paying $20/hr. I started out at $10 an hour at my current job. They won't even train me to do anything. All they want me to be is a laborer. No need for training because there's too many unemployed folks about. I think the real unemployment must be 50% for people with any skills. Easy to get a job as a laborer, but when you want to get a skilled job they demand a minimum of 5+ years experience.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:28 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,311,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
You need to "know people" if you want to have a job paying $60k in this economy. I went to college and can't even find a job paying $20/hr. I started out at $10 an hour at my current job. They won't even train me to do anything. All they want me to be is a laborer. No need for training because there's too many unemployed folks about. I think the real unemployment must be 50% for people with any skills. Easy to get a job as a laborer, but when you want to get a skilled job they demand a minimum of 5+ years experience.
And then they complain that there are no qualified candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search