Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2017, 09:04 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times

Advertisements

Your story....how did it turn out?

I guess it might come down to trusting the "universe," knowing yourself, or being willing to not take a job you don't want to do, and waiting to see if something else comes along.

Would you rather work a part-time job you enjoy -- or a full-time job you don't want to do?

-- If you were unemployed but not broke have you ever turned down a job you knew you didn't want? (Literally turned down an offer -- or just preemptively took your name out of the running)

You knew it wasn't the right fit and after the interview you preemptively said, "thanks for the interview but it's just not what I want to do." I don't mean like right after the interview before you leave. But even a day later just called them and said, "you know what....that's ok.... it's not for me."

-- Also have you ever gone on an interview, and even as you were going there you knew it wasn't for you, but you still went.

-- Has anyone ever THOUGHT they didn't want the job -- but it turned out after here more about it you were more interested in it than they knew....OR....your gut was right you didn't think it was for you, you interviewed, and all the while in the interview you're thinking, "the more I hear about this job, the less I'm intrested."

Your experiences??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 05:23 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Yes, I have turned down jobs I didn't want many years ago. Unless financially forced to, I don't think one should take a job that one feels one is unsuited for.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:29 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
You might not be broke but if you are spending and not earning you are slowly (or quickly) becoming broke. I'd probably suck it up and do the work if my savings would be gone in the not too distant future if I remain unemployed.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,577 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Yes, in 2008-09 when I was looking I had a great interview, until I asked a question at the end and got a surprising, and unsettling answer. This was for a supervisory water utility job with a city, and coming from the Bay Area where I worked during two major droughts, I asked about their water conservation programs. At this city the water department was in the Accounting department, and the hiring manager's response was that they do not encourage conservation because it affects their revenue. The trip there for the interview already had turned me off to the job, considering the commute, so I actually argued with her on the lack of responsibility in their attitude toward conservation. It was fun, and ensured that I wouldn't be selected. As it turned out, the job was open again in a few months,. the person they chose didn't work out and HR called to see if I was still interested. No, and it was too late since I had already started where I am still working now. Much shorter commute, better pay and benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search