Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 11:48 AM

334 posts, read 221,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Sorry to bump this older thread but I agree with the bolded. It's kinda sad that people have to lie on their resume to be given a fair chance in the job market. It kinda tells you how disgusting and discriminatory the job searching is. For the person who had a felony--worked 20 great years and didn't cause any problems. HE would not have that job unless he lied. It's a sad time in society where "entry level" jobs require 3 years of experience. People lie to meet the status quo.
Yep, but nobody seems to care how employers lie to us during the interview process and you don't find out what the job REALLY will be like until you are in it. I really wish I did not have to work anymore or that I could work a menial part-time job somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 10:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,149 times
So far I've gotten away with lying about my major, graduating year, years of employment and 1 job I completely made up. I recently completely made up a resume with only 1 real job and put a MBA on there which I don't have. Got an offer and currently going through a background check so let's see if I caught.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:56 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsmart View Post
So far I've gotten away with lying about my major, graduating year, years of employment and 1 job I completely made up. I recently completely made up a resume with only 1 real job and put a MBA on there which I don't have. Got an offer and currently going through a background check so let's see if I caught.

Did you get the job?

Old 02-27-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
Yep, but nobody seems to care how employers lie to us during the interview process and you don't find out what the job REALLY will be like until you are in it. I really wish I did not have to work anymore or that I could work a menial part-time job somewhere.

My biggest pet peeve that employers do: They post jobs online PRETENDING to have an available opening. And after wasting numerous hours studying the company and perfecting my interview techniques, I get a email saying that they selected another candidate with a better skill set. However, 9 times out of 10, they already have their candidate already in place but they hold these "interviews" as "formality." If I knew I didn't have a shot, I wouldn't sink countless hours studying the company. It's a big waste of time, and if you ask me, it's down right cruel.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,709 times
Quote:
Did you get the job?
Yes I did. I didn't realize I could only have one account and don't like to post these things under my normal account so couldn't post under the old name. I did have to put some prep work in to ensure I passed the background check for education. For the employers sometimes employers simply don't respond when asked for verification so that's what happened with this job.

I have been caught before, if it happens just move on. I just prepared for everything I didn't have when I got caught and ensured I was prepared this time incase I was.

Yes it is bad to lie but the fact of the matter is my first job out of college was 30k, 2 years later is when I started lying and job hopping, now I'm at over 200k. I'd do it all over again if I had to. I probably won't lie anymore after this anyway and plan to get my MBA.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:26 AM

55 posts, read 45,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I was once working at a temp job through an agency checking a large health care company's contracts. Not for content but just for like typos and english. After a few months I got a job and was looking at an applicant resume.

The person applying had listed that he had his own business for two years. He was a "consultant" as one of his "jobs" he wrote that he was a consultant for this health care company reviewing their contracts - from the exact same time period I was there. He didn't mention the temp company and he made it sound like he was checking the contracts for content. But I recognized the job and checked it out. Yes.. he was a temporary employee working for a temp agency doing the same job I did. He had no contact with the heath carrier he was hired as a temp.

We had him in and confronted him. All the "clients" he had listed had been from a temp agency. He claimed up and down there was nothing wrong with what he did.

Huh, I actually didn't know this was lying. I basically do the same thing. I put the company I was working for, but in the description of the job I explain it was a temporary position.
When I go into the interview, I explain what temp agency I was hired through. It doesn't seem to be a problem for anyone.
I guess maybe it's that he never said anything?

If I stayed at the same temp agency for a long period of time but did multiple assignments for them, I would probably just list the temp agency and then underneath where I worked, but since I jump between agencies, I just list the company I worked for, that it was a temp position I was hired through a temp agency for and the temp agency name - and if I don't get that detailed on the resume, I explain upfront at the interview.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:23 AM

251 posts, read 203,956 times
It's very simple. Do a lie that is based on truth and impossible to verify but is so small it doesn't warrant suspicion in and of itself.

When you add 100 of these up it sums and adds up to an overall more favorable impression. Creating a favorable "gut instinct" in the mind of the employer. They won't be able to pin on a single reason why you seem like the best candidate because everything seemed slightly better than what it really was, but not in an exaggerated manner overall.

So let's say your MS Office Excel skill level is intermediate. Learn how to record a Macro and Just say advanced.
Let's say you know 70% of a tool. Tell them you are fluent.
Let's say they are looking for someone who used this tool recently in the past 12 months. The last time you used it was 2 years ago but you know nothing about it has changed. Just say you've used it recently in an independent consulting project. Find a way (hopefully you have a friend in the industry with access to the tool) to log in do some basic stuff and if you can do it - great. It's not a lie! You've used it recently.

There are nitpicking points where employers make dumb decisions based off small differences in candidates. This method is designed to overcome that last 5%. If you don't qualify for the position AT ALL this is not going to help you.

Alternatively there are times when having TOO MUCH knowledge works against you. I had learned this and now use it to my advantage to get out of recruitment processes that I'd rather not complete (because I know they are full of sh** and have no idea what they are doing). I had an employer ask me a very basic Junior level question for a Senior level position. This was when I knew they were full of it. So I provided them with a complex answer that I knew they wouldn't understand because they were unqualified to properly gauge and evaluate Senior talent. The answer to the question was designed to make them feel stupid. The same way the question was designed to make a Senior level candidate feel remedial. I purposely took myself out of the running in the most graceful manner possible - By making them feel inferior so they checked the "Don't know why exactly but I don't like him" box mentally. This particular employer had a bad turnover rate and claimed to be turning a new leaf. But based on the interview it's the same old same old.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:55 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I do not lie.
I've never lied on a resume, because I used to always get caught when lying, so these days, honest to a fault.

Especially in my industry, most companies do background checks these days

Old 03-02-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsmartstill View Post
Yes I did. I didn't realize I could only have one account and don't like to post these things under my normal account so couldn't post under the old name. I did have to put some prep work in to ensure I passed the background check for education. For the employers sometimes employers simply don't respond when asked for verification so that's what happened with this job.

I have been caught before, if it happens just move on. I just prepared for everything I didn't have when I got caught and ensured I was prepared this time incase I was.

Yes it is bad to lie but the fact of the matter is my first job out of college was 30k, 2 years later is when I started lying and job hopping, now I'm at over 200k. I'd do it all over again if I had to. I probably won't lie anymore after this anyway and plan to get my MBA.

You're making 200k without a masters? I need to get on your level.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,709 times
Quote:
You're making 200k without a masters? I need to get on your level.
Yeah took several job hops and 2 relocations to get there though. You can have the most decorated resume ever but if you aren't charismatic you won't advance. People hire people that they like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search