Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 11:00 AM

197 posts, read 279,356 times

Advertisements

So I've had some interviews arranged through job recruiters. I've gotten my past few jobs through recruiters, I think recruiters are great.

The recruiter always sends the list of people I'm going to meet with. In one instance they were the top 6 people at the company: CEO, CIO, CTO, CFO, Software Development Manager, Manager (I'm in software development.)

In one case the interview with set up 6 days in advance. When I got there, the hiring manager greeted me. He told me he was the only person I would speak to. Everyone else was on vacation or unavailable.

Sure, I understand I said. I wondered if everyone if their top leadership suddenly took a vacation day all at once, but obviously I wouldn't say that.

Hiring Manager explained he had thirty minutes to talk to me, then a meeting. We had a perfectly civil interview where he asked me some softball questions. Then he showed me the door.

A few hours later the recruiter called to say the Manager thought I was great, but not a fit.

Am I wrong to think that wasn't really an interview? They just wanted to interview a certain number of candidates and I was just filler?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 12:06 PM

197 posts, read 279,356 times
I'm open to the possibility if I'd impressed the guy in the interview, he would have said suddenly checked if the his boss was in, and miracle of miracles, the boss would have been available.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times
In my experience people at the CEO, CIO, CTO, CFO r levels will often be called upon for something on short notice, it's hard to get them to show up for a scheduled meeting if someone above them needs something. I think it's overkill anyway to have them involved in the interviews for a developer, the hiring manager and someone from HR should be sufficient. There is no way to guess what actually happened, but yes, if the manager really liked you for the position there would have been another interview or an offer. My guess, most likely they had already interviewed someone they wanted to hire but since you were scheduled went ahead with it.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:33 PM

696 posts, read 906,647 times
There was likely an 11th hour change (e.g. the req was closed, redefined, another candidate hired) and they did not have time or could not have been bothered to let you know. The hiring manager went through the motions to save face. You really don't want to work for an organization like that.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:51 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,941,858 times
That's probably why they scheduled you with so many. They figured half would drop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search