Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 11:47 AM

493 posts, read 514,558 times

Advertisements

The title sums up my situation. I currently work at a branch of a major retailer. I don't get paid much but it's not that bad considering what I do. I'm trying to look for a second job or a temp job so I can move overseas next year. I applied for a customer service position at the local public transportation company. I had a phone interview a few weeks ago with the hiring manager. It was then I found out that I would be earning less than at my current job ($1.50 less an hour), and that everyone starts at that wage.

I was offered an in-person interview. However, I was going to be out of town so I told the hiring manager I couldn't make it and I thought that was the end of that job. However, on Monday I got a call from the hiring manager asking me if I was interested in an interview the next day. I declined because I had class during the interview times, and I didn't think that job was worth missing class.

He called me again yesterday morning (Tuesday) asking me if I could come this Friday. I waited about 6-7 hours to call back and instead of declining like I had intended, I ended up asking him what time interviews would be. I reluctantly agreed to a time and I'm scheduled to go into an interview on Friday afternoon.

I'm not really enthused about this job or interview. I accepted it because I thought that I would at least get the chance to interview. Although it's the same amount of hours each week, I don't have a problem at my current job getting decent or better hours; sometimes even more than this new job would give me. I also get paid better at my current job. The lower pay is the biggest turnoff, as well as the thought that it wouldn't be much better than the job I have now.

Help! I am torn whether or not to call and say "I'm not interested anymore."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 01:03 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
If they can't pay you what you want, no point in wasting their time and yours.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:45 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
Don't waste their time.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:17 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
Interviews are really really not fun. Don't go to one if you are not interested in the job.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:20 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
So why are you still thinking about doing it? Guilty? ....because you said you would?

If you really don't want to do it -- don't. Call and cancel. Just say you appreciate the opportunity but the pay just isn't what you were looking for.

You really don't even have to give a reason. The only reason to mention the pay is just in case......that prompts the hiring person to come up with more money. That's NOT why you're mentioning it to them -- you're not doing it just to hit them up for more...you really genuinely aren't interested at the job at the price they pay.

The only reason I think there's even a slight -- slight -- chance they MIGHT offer more is.....to be honest I'm shocked they're still calling you to interview you, after you've begged off -- or rescheduled -- a couple of times already. They must be REALLY desperate -- OR must really want you. Because I'd think they would have moved on from you already. But they haven't....for whatever reason. WHY?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
The fact that there was so much pursuit to get OP to interview makes me think OP would have some leverage. I'd say take the interview, knock their socks off and make it clear what your price is. You might find they've got room to negotiate a better wage.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:20 PM

^^ I know, right?

Forgive my cynicism, but they keep calling her to fill a customer service position at the local public transportation company? What's up with that? I hate to say it but it's almost a red flag that they haveN'T moved on the next candidate. S/he's told them s/he couldn't make a given interview time...they called back, s/he said s/he couldn't make it again...and they STILL called back. Either they don't have another candidate. Or the OP's resume and/or application was a knock out. S/he can't get rid of this hiring person. (I joke of course.)

I mean good for the OP. Clearly the company wants to talk to him or her.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:53 AM

696 posts, read 906,459 times
One reason for the employer's persistence could be that the candidate "checks a box" allowing them to claim they interviewed diverse applicants.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:10 AM

Yeah...but likely so would any number of other applicants. With many (most?) jobs getting MANY more times the number of applicants than the number of positions....they could more than likely still get their boxes checked and haven't moved on from the OP.

But, they, it's good for the OP that they're so 'persistent.'

Old 09-28-2017, 10:19 AM

493 posts, read 514,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere View Post
One reason for the employer's persistence could be that the candidate "checks a box" allowing them to claim they interviewed diverse applicants.
That’s pretty easy where I live without any effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search