Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2017, 12:29 AM

2 posts, read 896 times

Advertisements

i'm 25 and getting nowhere doing low wage general labor jobs. i have no skills, and it's all my fault i know but i'm looking for a change. i wasted so much time trying to figure out what i want to do that i paralyzed myself into doing nothing most of my life then jumping into the first place that would hire me which of course was on and off $8.00 temp work. most of the time i'm leaning toward something in healthcare or IT, ideally something that included both, but leaning strongly toward healthcare since it's safer. still if i do plan to go back to community college i won't have any experience working in those type of environments. it wouldn't be waste would it? ugh, thinking about all i have to do is making me extremely anxious.

anyone got any advice i'd really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 06:24 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Healthcare is a pretty broad field. Anything in particular you are looking at?

Old 10-11-2017, 06:45 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Why healthcare or IT? Do you have any interest in either field, or are you attracted to the simply because of the job prospects?

Those are both very broad fields. You will need to focus a bit.

Why the two year limit? This seems arbitrary and might get in the way of your real goal, which is a living wage career. Many college level health care degrees are 2 year degrees, but they require prerequisites in math and biology that could take additional time. Don't prevent yourself from going this route simply because of time.

Don't worry about the experience thing. The degree will open doors, and you can work on getting experience as you study.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:07 AM

115 posts, read 82,531 times
If you havent looked at it already, I know there are many staffing agents that deal in entry level jobs related to healthcare. Most the time, they are call center type jobs but typically the experience level is extremely flexible and they usually hire in bunches. Not a career job by far but it might be that foot in the door that you need to get some professional experience in something. Many times its as easy as creating a profile online with the staffing agent, calling them for an appointment and meeting with a recruiter.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 896 times
I have no interests in any career field as long as it makes money and doesn't involve working in a warehouse or factory i would be very happy. my community college has associate degrees for like surgical techs and stuff and yeah it would take me longer than 2 years but i'm not looking to stay in school for a long time i'm going to be 30 in 5 more years with nothing and that scares me.

i was thinking of jobs where i'm behind the scenes, like maybe monitoring something or like my sister does medical technologist that would be perfect but no experience. i'll figure out something but thanks for anyone who posts it just helped even talking to someone.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:26 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Healthcare and IT require education.
Perhaps skilled trades would work for you. In a couple of years and an apprenticeship you could be a carpenter, plumber, or electrician, even a welder. These trades make serious good money, even as apprentices. Check your local community college for training.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:15 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
If you are willing to work a more labor type job, but want something more technical, go HVAC tech.

You will never be out of work. In metro areas that are growing, these guys get paid really good money after about 5 years of experience. In smaller cities, pay is actually pretty low.

You can also work residential, commercial, industrial, take a low key maintenance position if that is more your speed, and lots of different equipment and industries to specialize in, including just specializing in controls.

It is actually a pretty big field, much more than most construction trades.

But, it is one of the more technical trades to learn, not everyone can do it and it takes some serious studying/learning at school. It is not a just learn by doing trade.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:08 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
Mental health aide at state run/VA facilities. You can make bank with OT and you only need a hs diploma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search