Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 03:32 PM

115 posts, read 82,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I found it easier before with less experience back then than I do now. With 10 years of industry experience/college education many employers will just assume you are overqualified and asking for a ridiculous salary. I see ALOT Of positions going unfilled these days.

They try to play with the numbers and make everything hunky dory but I dont think we ever truly recovered from 2008,

I can't even get an interview these days. I got plenty more 9-10 years ago and some of that time I wasn't even employed. So from a personal standpoint, I think its worse. How is it you can get more interviews fresh out of college with little to NO experience, than experience? Makes no sense.

Its like once you hit 30-35 years old, you're "too old" (despite having to work another 30 or more years). I think a lot of it has to do with crapper management at companies these days. Many of the experienced, knowledgable management teams, who understood what the hell was needed to run a business retired (or on their way out) and a bunch of clueless buffoons who can't put their socks on correctly in the morning took over. Look around at so many companies today. Its mostly the same stories. "Company was once ran well and turned to a mismanaged hole"
I agree with you on this. Sounds like you and I are around the same age based on your comment about how many employers view age. Our generation I think was the beginning of what we are seeing now. Many people our age, myself included, couldnt get many companies to give us the time of day after college. The job market was competitive and continued to increase year after year as companies and organizations spent less money on employee development. You graduate they say we can use you because you dont have experience. You get some experience and then they say you dont have enough. Now they say you have lots of experience but not the right kind. Its a big game. They would rather wait and cherry pick candidates that meet their needs to a tee and hope they are actually quality people who can actually work hard. Previously we saw more people providing paid training or offsite traing programs for new talent. This gave good people an opportunity to learn the skills they needed to fill in the gaps they may have had in their experience and learn on the job. Not so much the case today. I cant comprehend companies that will leave important jobs open for months, potentially loosing a ton of money and valuable time, just because they dont want to invest in training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 07:56 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,176,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcyprojects View Post
I agree with you on this. Sounds like you and I are around the same age based on your comment about how many employers view age. Our generation I think was the beginning of what we are seeing now. Many people our age, myself included, couldnt get many companies to give us the time of day after college. The job market was competitive and continued to increase year after year as companies and organizations spent less money on employee development. You graduate they say we can use you because you dont have experience. You get some experience and then they say you dont have enough. Now they say you have lots of experience but not the right kind. Its a big game. They would rather wait and cherry pick candidates that meet their needs to a tee and hope they are actually quality people who can actually work hard. Previously we saw more people providing paid training or offsite traing programs for new talent. This gave good people an opportunity to learn the skills they needed to fill in the gaps they may have had in their experience and learn on the job. Not so much the case today. I cant comprehend companies that will leave important jobs open for months, potentially loosing a ton of money and valuable time, just because they dont want to invest in training.
It's because companies no longer have any desire to grow, expand, etc..... because that means they actually have to develop their workforce.

They say they do, complain about it, but do nothing to correct it.

Actions speak louder than their words.

As a matter of fact, most companies do everything they can to decimate their workforce today. No loyalty, no training, no development, no raises, no promotions etc...... all they are doing is destroying their workforce and making the available pool of qualified workers less and less.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
It's because companies no longer have any desire to grow, expand, etc..... because that means they actually have to develop their workforce.

They say they do, complain about it, but do nothing to correct it.

Actions speak louder than their words.

As a matter of fact, most companies do everything they can to decimate their workforce today. No loyalty, no training, no development, no raises, no promotions etc...... all they are doing is destroying their workforce and making the available pool of qualified workers less and less.
Finally somone who understands the struggle! Im dealing with all of this in my current job. Love everyone I work with, we generally care about doing quality work and serving our customer base well. However, our corporate continues to disband everything and everyone that made them successful in recent years. No real good reason for it, except for the fact that those who are being promoted are all "friends" of the CEO and COO. They are litterally demoting and getting rid of good people who have done a lot with very little, and oh yeah no raises for anyone this year either despite record performance numbers across the board. I feel like I am cursed as this is the second time in 5 years ive ended up in this situation with a company that I generally liked in the beginning. It seems normal that every 2 years or so, a change of guard is like mandatory and typically it isnt positive. Even worse, Im having a hell of a time getting anyone outside of my industry to recognize my experience so until that happens Im stuck.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:34 AM

4,414 posts, read 2,910,977 times
Quote:
Finally somone who understands the struggle! Im dealing with all of this in my current job. Love everyone I work with, we generally care about doing quality work and serving our customer base well. However, our corporate continues to disband everything and everyone that made them successful in recent years. No real good reason for it, except for the fact that those who are being promoted are all "friends" of the CEO and COO. They are litterally demoting and getting rid of good people who have done a lot with very little, and oh yeah no raises for anyone this year either despite record performance numbers across the board. I feel like I am cursed as this is the second time in 5 years ive ended up in this situation with a company that I generally liked in the beginning. It seems normal that every 2 years or so, a change of guard is like mandatory and typically it isnt positive. Even worse, Im having a hell of a time getting anyone outside of my industry to recognize my experience so until that happens Im stuck.
Well get a new job. If you're having trouble doing that, then chances are your value isn't as high as you think and that's why you feel like you're being treated unfairly.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Well get a new job. If you're having trouble doing that, then chances are your value isn't as high as you think and that's why you feel like you're being treated unfairly.
If it were only that easy my friend. I have been applying to various job openings for nearly a year. I have polled a couple groups and threads here and still cant find out how to become marketable in the current job marketplace. Being qualified is not enough today. The process is becoming more purposely more complex as time goes on.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:14 PM

17,219 posts, read 12,099,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I found it easier before with less experience back then than I do now. With 10 years of industry experience/college education many employers will just assume you are overqualified and asking for a ridiculous salary. I see ALOT Of positions going unfilled these days.

They try to play with the numbers and make everything hunky dory but I dont think we ever truly recovered from 2008,

I can't even get an interview these days. I got plenty more 9-10 years ago and some of that time I wasn't even employed. So from a personal standpoint, I think its worse. How is it you can get more interviews fresh out of college with little to NO experience, than experience? Makes no sense.

Its like once you hit 30-35 years old, you're "too old" (despite having to work another 30 or more years). I think a lot of it has to do with crapper management at companies these days. Many of the experienced, knowledgable management teams, who understood what the hell was needed to run a business retired (or on their way out) and a bunch of clueless buffoons who can't put their socks on correctly in the morning took over. Look around at so many companies today. Its mostly the same stories. "Company was once ran well and turned to a mismanaged hole"
I think the millennials trying to start their career out of college right now are having an even rougher time. My current company prides itself of only consisting of senior level engineers. Which is nice and all as everyone is very competent and generally in their 30s-40s. There are a few token interns in non-critical roles but there definitely doesn't seem to be that culture of bringing in interns then hiring them on full time in junior roles like there was when I was in college in the 90s.

You can generally wing it when you're younger but by the 30s you should have a solid career plan you are following. Not to mention be investing like crazy for retirement and ideally some passive income through rentals or some such as well.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:24 PM

4,414 posts, read 2,910,977 times
Quote:
If it were only that easy my friend. I have been applying to various job openings for nearly a year. I have polled a couple groups and threads here and still cant find out how to become marketable in the current job marketplace. Being qualified is not enough today. The process is becoming more purposely more complex as time goes on.
I've been getting interviews. As I said, your employer is treating you that way because your skills and background apparently isn't that valuable as evident by you not getting interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search