Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 09:32 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,753,340 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I work for a well-known, very large company. To be honest, I am looking to make the jump because I know I'll most likely get a bigger pay jump if I moved to a whole new company vs getting internally promoted-- which will only be a certain (small) percentage. Obviously I cannot say that when I am being asked "why are you looking to leave company X?" I feel that the typical "looking for new opportunities" or "looking for challenges" which I could, in theory, fulfill by transferring departments. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 10:00 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
I love my job, the pay, and the people. I hate where I am located so I am looking to leave. So this question is pretty easy for me.

You could turn it into a question of why you want to work for them instead of why you want to leave. This one is easier to answer.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:26 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hello,
I work for a well-known, very large company. To be honest, I am looking to make the jump because I know I'll most likely get a bigger pay jump if I moved to a whole new company vs getting internally promoted-- which will only be a certain (small) percentage. Obviously I cannot say that when I am being asked "why are you looking to leave company X?" I feel that the typical "looking for new opportunities" or "looking for challenges" which I could, in theory, fulfill by transferring departments. Any suggestions?
I don't think there's any problem for letting your manager knows that you received a better offer, but you would like to stay if they can give you a boost in pay. It happened to me in the past, and I inform my upper management, I was lucky in the situation where the management team understand the pay difference, and the management team even said they would do the same. There's really no need to hide the fact that you need more money. However, you do need to prepare for the fact that they might say no to you, and you have to be ready to move on.

That's how it is.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:55 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,753,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
I don't think there's any problem for letting your manager knows that you received a better offer, but you would like to stay if they can give you a boost in pay. It happened to me in the past, and I inform my upper management, I was lucky in the situation where the management team understand the pay difference, and the management team even said they would do the same. There's really no need to hide the fact that you need more money. However, you do need to prepare for the fact that they might say no to you, and you have to be ready to move on.

That's how it is.

Sorry if my question wasn't clear. Basically, I was wondering what the best thing to say in an interview when I applying at a different company. I've always worked for relatively "unknown" companies, this is the first household name company I have worked for, so I am expect some flags to be possible be raised if they look at my resume and see my current employer is "Company X".

Old 10-24-2017, 11:53 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
I'm not really looking to leave right now, but the financial status here isn't great. Job security isn't the best and pay raises are fairly rare.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:57 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Worked for small companies and startups most of my career... I've always liked how the culture often was flexible and fostered great ideas. No one person was shoe horned into a single role. I started by answer phones, then to support, thne to QA, and now a principle developer. Difficult to do in larger companies.

The current one has been 14 years total (on and off.. not consecutive). I think this place has played out its course.... Real engineering practices and quality is no longer appreciated. I think the tall tail signs was that the company switched ownership and is headed by a bunch of sales guys with no technical (no CTO) representation. Those that got promoted are marketing and former sales people that talk too much and oversell their contribution to the company.

The real technical strengths of the company lie in engineering. For a tech company, I believe it's downfall is the lack of fostering innovation. Engineering isn't allowed to foster its own success... there is no reward for thinking out of the box and innovative design. Basically, they took a bunch of senior engineers (average 10 years with the company) and turned them into code-monkeys.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:37 AM

9 posts, read 5,631 times
Some smaller "unknown" companies actually understand why people leave larger well-known companies. When I left a well-known company, the companies I interviewed for were like "Oh yea. We've heard about how they do xyz." I got job offers from those companies as well.

I think the answers provided above were good especially the one by lepoisson.

I wouldn't belabour the point in your interview because it can come off as rude. Keep it brief and something that's semi-generic. Enough to answer the question without it becoming a big deal.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:08 AM

115 posts, read 82,527 times
For me it doesnt matter if the company is considered large or small. Im mostly in search of a company that is truly invested in me and in my abilities to make my mark in the job. That investment can be financial, or in available advancement/development opportunities, or both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search