Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 11:37 AM

1,377 posts, read 2,117,880 times

Advertisements

Okay, so recently I've decided that for my first job I'll apply and work at In-N-Out (in my city; they are hiring).

Let me tell you a little bit about myself.

I am 18 (I turn 19 in exactly one month), 2016 graduate of Indio High School. There, that's all you need to know.

So anyway, then I recently started to wonder if I can still be qualified for a job if I have high-functioning autism (HFA), which I do have.

Well, can I?

Sometimes, when I feel the need to fidget, I take out my fidget cube to relax myself. I've been diagnosed with it at a very young age.

So, my question is (I guess I already asked this just now, or maybe not), can I still be qualified for a job if I have high-functioning autism (HFA) (which, like I said, do have)?

Any helpful insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 12:51 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,726,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
Can I still be qualified for a job if I have high-functioning autism (HFA)?
Yes; of course. The question is about WHICH jobs would suit best.

Which types of work are LEAST likely to be difficult for you to do well in
or don't have some aspect which suits whatever your strengths are?

Answer those questions and then find one of those jobs.
Quote:
I've decided that for my first job I'll apply and work at In-N-Out (in my city; they are hiring).
And answering those questions might require trying different things.
So try it. See how it is.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:16 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,358,105 times
Quote:
Sometimes, when I feel the need to fidget, I take out my fidget cube to relax myself.
Just think, when you need to fidget while working, you can flip that burger again, or shake that fry basket!

I think you will do fine.

I would warn you, don't disclose your condition. Some people do not understand Autism and they might not hire you because of it.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Just think, when you need to fidget while working, you can flip that burger again, or shake that fry basket!

I think you will do fine.

I would warn you, don't disclose your condition. Some people do not understand Autism and they might not hire you because of it.
Even if it's on the mild/very mild scale of the ASD spectrum? Because that's where I am on there. That's quite a bummer.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:38 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,358,105 times
Quote:
Even if it's on the mild/very mild scale of the ASD spectrum? Because that's where I am on there. That's quite a bummer.
I know, it sucks.

My grandson is HFA on the ASD spectrum. He's only six now, but I have high hopes for him that by the time he's old enough to get a job, that more people will understand Autism isn't a disability for many.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I know, it sucks.

My grandson is HFA on the ASD spectrum. He's only six now, but I have high hopes for him that by the time he's old enough to get a job, that more people will understand Autism isn't a disability for many.
Sorry for the late reply, but I wish you and your grandson tons of luck!

I'm a bit upset that I am the only sibling in my family that has ever been diagnosed with ASD spectrum "anything," but, at the same time I realize that my HFA is all part of what God has created me and is all part of who I am and what makes me unique (yes, I had a language delay, that's why I still stutter, talk too fast/not loud enough, etc.). I'm thankful to be my very own self.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:24 PM

334 posts, read 220,589 times
Quote:
Sorry for the late reply, but I wish you and your grandson tons of luck!

I'm a bit upset that I am the only sibling in my family that has ever been diagnosed with ASD spectrum "anything," but, at the same time I realize that my HFA is all part of what God has created me and is all part of who I am and what makes me unique (yes, I had a language delay, that's why I still stutter, talk too fast/not loud enough, etc.). I'm thankful to be my very own self.
Best of luck to you, Brandon! Let us know how it goes. I'm sure you will do just fine.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
Best of luck to you, Brandon! Let us know how it goes. I'm sure you will do just fine.
Ah, thank you! Much appreciated. I'll be sure to check back into this thread and make an update.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:56 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,004,409 times
I think you should apply for the job. Learn from experience what you can tolerate in the work world, and learn how you can contribute. Look around you, observe others, and think about other jobs and see if you can do them.

I know virtually nothing about HFA. Does it prevent you from learning and performing a trade? Those are good, living wage jobs. Can you become a plumber or electrician? Is office work something that you could do with training?

Good luck. I am rooting for you, and I hope that you don’t limit yourself more than you need to.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I think you should apply for the job. Learn from experience what you can tolerate in the work world, and learn how you can contribute. Look around you, observe others, and think about other jobs and see if you can do them.

I know virtually nothing about HFA. Does it prevent you from learning and performing a trade? Those are good, living wage jobs. Can you become a plumber or electrician? Is office work something that you could do with training?

Good luck. I am rooting for you, and I hope that you don’t limit yourself more than you need to.
Well, I have experience in volunteering at a church in Indio, California that I enjoy going to 3-4 days a week.

Thank you! I'm not limiting myself, but rather I'm set on my decision to work at In-N-Out eventually. They're hiring right now, and pay $12.50/hr, and I can also flex my schedule to how I want it to be, have free meals during my shift, and even get paid vacations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search