Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 09:11 AM

547 posts, read 774,936 times

Advertisements

Company has been looking to fill this position since April. I got through final onsite visit. I feel like the only reason I didn't get position was 1 of the interviewers may have not liked me. I think my direct supervisor and CIO, as well as 3 of the 4 I met liked me.

While I would work with person, he wasn't a direct report or even a peer. I feel like my skills and experience is exactly what they are looking for and I'm skeptical they will find someone since it's been months of searching.

They even made me feel like I had the job because they were talking relocation with my recruiter.

I still want the job and I was wondering if I follow up in 2 months with recruiter to let her know I'm still open to going for job if that would be strange.

Has anyone else been in a scenario where the company had a change of heart?

FYI, I don't think they had any other candidate when I went for my final round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 09:24 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Give it up.

A junior person not in the reporting structure does not have veto power on hiring matters over the HM and CIO. There were other reasons why they didn’t hire you.

I have no idea what that reason may have been, but they found it compelling enough to pass on your candidacy. They will likely make the same decision in the future.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:51 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
you failed to mention the other candidates... who are they and why would you be better than them

Old 10-28-2017, 09:56 AM

The person is not a junior, he's a Director that's been there for over 10 years but I wouldn't be directly working with him. Also my finals didn't even include CIO or HM, just lunch with them.

They didn't and don't have other candidates. They haven't been able to fill position for 7+ months

Old 10-28-2017, 10:03 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Well, if you only had peripheral contact with the CIO and the hiring manager, why bring it up in the first place?

I do find it odd that contact with the direct supervisor was only peripheral.

It doesn’t change much though. Somebody with pull on the hiring team had reasons to veto you, or you didn’t pass the background check. Either way, it is unlikely that things will change in a couple of months.

You are certainly free to reapply, I would simply be very surprised if it went anywhere.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:24 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
You do not know why you weren't selected, nor do you know if they had another candidate in the process. You also don't know if they discussed relocation with the recruiters of all of the finalists. There is nothing in your post that makes me think the company changed its mind -- you read too much into the process.

I applied for an assistant director's job at a place where I had a friend who was a supervisor. I spoke with the director on the phone and he wanted me to make a 90 minute drive that evening to come in and interview for the position. My friend saw the hiring paperwork with my name on it on the director's desk. Then nothing ... The director had a friend call him up and ask if he had any openings, so the assistant director's job went from me to the boss' friend.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:31 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
Company has been looking to fill this position since April. I got through final onsite visit. I feel like the only reason I didn't get position was 1 of the interviewers may have not liked me. I think my direct supervisor and CIO, as well as 3 of the 4 I met liked me.

While I would work with person, he wasn't a direct report or even a peer. I feel like my skills and experience is exactly what they are looking for and I'm skeptical they will find someone since it's been months of searching.

They even made me feel like I had the job because they were talking relocation with my recruiter.

I still want the job and I was wondering if I follow up in 2 months with recruiter to let her know I'm still open to going for job if that would be strange.

Has anyone else been in a scenario where the company had a change of heart?

FYI, I don't think they had any other candidate when I went for my final round.
How did you find out that you weren't chosen? If you got a letter....respond with a "thank you for the opportunity" type letter, personalize it a bit....names of interviewers...how impressed you were with "fill in the blank"....adding that you are still highly interested and would appreciate any consideration for future position openings.

If no letter, still send a thank you for the opportunity letter....again reasserting your ongoing interest....how impressed you were after meeting bla, bla,bla....insert names of interviewers....and you would appreciate being given consideration for any position in the future. But, send it asap, never wait two months....do these follow up letters, after interview, after turn down....within a couple of days.

A positive is that you got to interview at all. Obviously they are not rushing to fill this position, and bettering myself. Maybe if you feel they would be receptive of that go for it...at least than you'll know how to improve your chances for next time.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:50 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
I feel your pain. These days more times the better employee ALWAYS seems to lose out on the job to the

1. Useless Crony buttkisser
2. Relative or friend of a relative of the employee
3. Potential love/drinking buddy to the manager
4. The pretty handsome employee

I was passed up for a position for a younger kid who was one of those "pretty boy" charismatic, friend of a friend of the hiring manager and within 2 years, he screwed all the accounts up, everyone had to track him down as no one ever knew where he was, which ultimately led to loss of business and constant customer complaints and had little to NO work ethic at all and ultimately they had to 86 him even though the manager was depressed, kicking and screaming having to do it. I wasn't the "perfect" candidate by any means (I didn't have experience in the department but he didn't either) but I would have been 10 times better than this weasel once I learned the ropes and I was the better of the two that applied and my work history with the company spoke for itself. You wouldn't have had to track me down, babysit me, and I would have been accountable.

So we lost money because of this lousy hiring decision, lost accounts, etc.

At some point this blame has to go to poor hiring practices by the hiring manager. They need to be held accountable for their poor decisions. Of course, these days everyone seems to have to be held accountable EXCEPT management for some insane reason.

Hiring managers who can't make good decisions (or the best decisions) in hiring should NOT be in a hiring position

Last edited by DorianRo; 10-28-2017 at 12:03 PM..

Old 10-28-2017, 12:00 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Ha ha. "Change of heart." No. It's business, not your ex girlfriend.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Ha ha. "Change of heart." No. It's business, not your ex girlfriend.
Actually this kind of happen at my current job. I went for job back in 2011, did not get it job. 3 years later, they called and I ended up getting job.

So it's not like it has not happened to me before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search