Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2017, 09:59 AM

430 posts, read 335,474 times

Advertisements

So regardless, I'm moving in May to another state. I work for an airline and have flight benefits that are actually decent and affordable. So is it possible for me to find a job in my target state before moving if I can fly out for a couple interviews? Is it possible at all?

And I DO have a backup plan, which is my current job. I spoke to HR and checked online, I can transfer within the company to a city an hr away from where I currently want to go. I'm flying out early next month to make sure I like the place, but that's the current state of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 10:29 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Where you can move and how, depends on your career.

If you are a mechanic, airlines are always looking for people in California due to the high cost of living and union salaries being the same across the country.

If you have a niche skillet or technology, set location preference in LinkedIn to the cities you want. Make sure to have your profile public and accepting invitations. My friend moved across the country this way.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:50 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
I would stay with your company. If you have a good job and benefits, it seems to make sense to take the job that gets you an hour of where you’d like to be. Once you’re in reasonable commuting distance, you can see if you can find a job somewhere in your ideal city with a more “local” address since in many cases you’d be considered a local candidate.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Staying with the company and doing a transfer is the most logical option. You can always look for something better once settles in. As a hiring manager, the chances of getting hired from afar are slim, even if willing to fly in for an interview, unless you are head and shoulders above the other many local candidates. In the last year I have had several applicants from other states. Of the two that I offered interviews, one never showed up at the appointed time, the other called and cancelled 5 minutes before. That tends to make us a little hesitant.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:31 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
So regardless, I'm moving in May to another state. I work for an airline and have flight benefits that are actually decent and affordable. So is it possible for me to find a job in my target state before moving if I can fly out for a couple interviews? Is it possible at all?

And I DO have a backup plan, which is my current job. I spoke to HR and checked online, I can transfer within the company to a city an hr away from where I currently want to go. I'm flying out early next month to make sure I like the place, but that's the current state of things.
Yes, it is possible. I've done this multiple times myself!

I leave my current address off the resume and in the cover letter I mention my desire to relocate to the area and some kind of connection to it. Oh, and it helps to look for jobs that have relo/partial relo listed as a benefit for them.

I found my current job this way. I was living in TN (long story) and found this role in the Erie, PA area that offered relo assistance. As you see from my location, things worked out

The other option with your current job is pretty decent, too. An hour away is not that far of a commute; I currently drive an hour each way to work because the area where I work is kind of too far off from conveniences like easy access to Erie, the interstate, etc. My location is ideal right where I am

Either way you go, it sounds like a decent deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search