Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 10:44 AM

405 posts, read 573,282 times

Advertisements

I've heard this before from 3rd party recruiters and never believed it as it is just a way to send as many resumes as possible over. However, this is the first time I've heard this from an in house recruiter. The position is new but still I would think they have an already established range. They stated they were tasked with gathering numbers from candidates and would then research further what certain titles pay in different areas. Thoughts?

Last edited by sonyab523; 01-12-2018 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 10:54 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
They either have a really loose-goose budget system, or they are holding information back.

I suspect that it is the latter.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:57 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
They either have a really loose-goose budget system, or they are holding information back.

I suspect that it is the latter.
I agree.
It's sloppy but doesn't mean they are a bad employer, if called in for an interview it's best to ask for clarification before taking it beyond that.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:27 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
They probably know an average but not the highs and lows of the range. They are probably waiting to see how many qualified applicants they get and what their pay is.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:50 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
It sounds about right, if it's for a new role with a small company. It's especially likely for management roles, where their budget is dependent on the investors.

I had a few friends leave for start ups, where the hiring company only had a handful of officers including the head recruiter. It was very dependent on funding from big investment companies like Black Rock or angel investors.

They may be staffing up for several management roles, and each department can vary greatly in compensation. An VP of IT would make significantly more than a VP of vendor management, if the IT guys are in hot demand in that city.

The pay ended up decent for a small company. My friends received offers for $20-25k more than their previous jobs in higher level roles. Their old jobs could not match.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:26 PM

It's a rather new company, less than 10 years old. They have a lot of new executive positions open due to growth. I believe the recruiter did state he would let me know the salary before bringing me in for an interview so at least I wouldn't be wasting my time, especially since I'm out of state.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:45 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
If multiple things are happening at once, I can see them trying to establish a candidate pool while trying to nail down a pay band for a newly created position.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:39 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
It's a rather new company, less than 10 years old. They have a lot of new executive positions open due to growth. I believe the recruiter did state he would let me know the salary before bringing me in for an interview so at least I wouldn't be wasting my time, especially since I'm out of state.
Congratulations. These exec positions will pay six figures in these small companies. It can be a fast path to C-cevel executive jobs.

One of my bosses was an SVP at a publicly traded company. Now, they are a C-Level exec at a Wall-Street backed company. They have hit up a few of the old team members for other management jobs. Salaries are slightly below market compared to a big company. The experience does pay off later though, as new executive positions open up at the current company or other startups from the same investment funds. She will be banking, when they do the IPO. While she doesn't have billionaire stock options, she will at least be able to cash out.

My friends are doing well in SVP and and executive leadership roles. Their employers have increased the number of staff by more than triple with only 2 or 3 acquisitions within their first year. By their 2nd year, the number of employees were up by 5-10 fold. Its very exciting to have such a big impact and see everything moving so fast.

Happy hunting.

Last edited by move4ward; 01-13-2018 at 05:23 AM..

Old 01-13-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Congratulations. These exec positions will pay six figures in these small companies. It can be a fast path to C-cevel executive jobs.

One of my bosses was an SVP at a publicly traded company. Now, they are a C-Level exec at a Wall-Street backed company. They have hit up a few of the old team members for other management jobs. Salaries are slightly below market compared to a big company. The experience does pay off later though, as new executive positions open up at the current company or other startups from the same investment funds. She will be banking, when they do the IPO. While she doesn't have billionaire stock options, she will at least be able to cash out.

My friends are doing well in SVP and and executive leadership roles. Their employers have increased the number of staff by more than triple with only 2 or 3 acquisitions within their first year. By their 2nd year, the number of employees were up by 5-10 fold. Its very exciting to have such a big impact and see everything moving so fast.

Happy hunting.
Yes it's a Director level position, I make 6 figures now so I would expect the position to pay the same, but their 6 figures could be 100,000, 150,000 or 180,000. They also wanted me to look at a "Head" position which I would anticipate is also 6 figures. In my experience private equity backed companies pay very well and even sometimes above market value but we will see.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,573 posts, read 81,167,557 times
We have had similar situations here, one just recently. A director position was open, and due to a reorganization the duties changed some from what the retiree had been doing, with added responsibilities. The current salary range was given along with "compensation for this position is currently under review". The compensation analysts in HR were doing studies to determine the market rate for the work with the new job description, but recruiting wanted to get started on advertising the opening before the new (higher) amount was determined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search